Single receptacle for microwave / range hood? Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylerado

210.23(A)(2) is not violated unless fixed utilization equipment is connected to the same circuit and any single fixed utilization equipment exceeds 50% of the circuit rating.

422.16(B)(4) requires an "individual branch circuit" but doesn't say anything about multioutlet assemblies.

However one is justified in saying a duplex receptacle at this utilization equipment makes it a:

Home occupant can still plug in an adapter and run their holiday lighting and it won't really matter to me or the inspector as we likely will be long gone when that happens.

So which side are you on? :? Duplex or no duplex?

From commentary 2014 HB definitions

Individual branch circuit

..."A branch
circuit supplying one duplex receptacle that supplies two cordand-plug-connected
appliances or similar equipment is not an
individual branch circuit."

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

..."A branch
circuit supplying one duplex receptacle that supplies two cordand-plug-connected

But a circuit with 27 receptacles supplying one appliance is, or can be, by NEC definition an individual branch circuit.

If the NEC wants it to be only one receptacle that should be what the definition says.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
In the past I have installed duplex receptacles for over-the-stove microwaves, but in the future I will install single ones. Inspector or not, I really don't want the tenant or homeowner to plug something else in the cabinet. I can just image a toaster oven in there w/ the door closed.

luckylerado

In the past I have installed duplex receptacles for over-the-stove microwaves, but in the future I will install single ones. Inspector or not, I really don't want the tenant or homeowner to plug something else in the cabinet. I can just image a toaster oven in there w/ the door closed.

Make sure when you do to use a 20 amp rec for a 20 amp circuit.

For what it is worth, I have a duplex in mine and I do put the Christmas village up there with an x-10 gizmo with no problems.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

..."A branch

View attachment 13039

That is hogwash!!!!!
I hope that is not the rule.
So in this instance you need one circuit for the washer and one for the dryer.

Code gone wild once again!

kwired

Electron manager

..."A branch

View attachment 13039
kind of take same position Bob does

Handbook is nothing more then opinion of those that wrote it and doesn't have any more weight then our discussion here.

But a circuit with 27 receptacles supplying one appliance is, or can be, by NEC definition an individual branch circuit.

If the NEC wants it to be only one receptacle that should be what the definition says.

Let HO plug in their toaster and leave it in the cabinet - Darwin's theory applies. If you only leave them a single recep and they really want the toaster in there they will find a way.

I also have a duplex for my over the range microwave - never been used for anything but the microwave.

user 100

..."A branch

Imo, this would only refer to duplex receptacles that will supply two cord and plug connected appliances, it is not a prohibition
against installing a duplex device capable of supplying those 2 appliances.

Last edited:

peter d

FWIW, I've never installed a single receptacle for a microwave in my life, nor have I ever been called on it. I realize it's tradition in parts of the country, but I agree that there is no code that requires it, nor should there be.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
FWIW, I've never installed a single receptacle for a microwave in my life, nor have I ever been called on it. I realize it's tradition in parts of the country, but I agree that there is no code that requires it, nor should there be.

I agree ,

That is unless the appliance comes with a real 20 a cord cap. :thumbsup:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I agree, install a duplex and a 20 amp OCPD and call it a SABC.

electricalist

I thought the op was saying he used a 15 amp device on a 20 amp ocpd dedicated for the microwave , and the inspector wants a 20 amp rated outlet and stated a single so that it doesnt lead to the breaker tripping if something else gets plugged in there.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I thought the op was saying he used a 15 amp device on a 20 amp ocpd dedicated for the microwave , and the inspector wants a 20 amp rated outlet and stated a single so that it doesnt lead to the breaker tripping if something else gets plugged in there.

You think the issue was that he used a 15A single receptacle? Really? And you actually read the first post?

electricalist

Yea that doesnt make any sense. I need to read thoroughly threw.
I probably have a habit of trying to see how the situation would make sense and fail to stick to facts.
Ty sir

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

480sparky

.......... While we're out there arguing over what amounts to pocket change with an idiot, we could be out doing another job earning more money.

You're failing to see the big picture.

Letting the inspector walk all over you for chump change merely enables the inspector and then you will get walked all over when you're talking real money.

Stop giving in to over-inflated inspectors egos and you won't have the problem when it comes to big money issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.