Single Receptacle Question

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
A multi pole breaker where the handles are tied together with a handle tie, in my mind, not so much.
Seems the reason for the tie or the 2 pole is mainly for service or to protect personnel during service??? If so that would be a different scenario than fault if it is feeding 2 recepts? Does speed matter opening the second pole? I dont beieve a guy can tie handles on a 120/240 recept? Needs a dp?

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Something on my bucket list is to fix my steamer (hot pressure washer). Over the years got some controls added, some items were 240 now 120 and we add a N wire, all kinds of stuff should be fixed and will be, some from some "help" should have known better at the time but now have a machine with 2 voltages to it. As it is now simply pinned the breakers together in the panel, single pole to a double pole.
At some point going back, buy a new 240 transformer and wire it back to the original or maybe even kind of start over and wire it as a multi voltage unit as it was 240 only new. Its one of those things I had since a wayyyy long time ago and been thru the whole curve.
Looking at the drawing and specs kind of neat, only additional overcurrent is thermal in the burner motor and the differences in the 240 model and the 120 model. They upsize all the control, the tranny leads a size for short circuit and negated the need for further internal protection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Seems the reason for the tie or the 2 pole is mainly for service or to protect personnel during service??? If so that would be a different scenario than fault if it is feeding 2 recepts? Does speed matter opening the second pole? I dont beieve a guy can tie handles on a 120/240 recept? Needs a dp?
That was the substantiation for the rule.

kwired

Electron manager
See 240.15(B).

(1) is for the MWBC's we been discussing here
(2) allows the tie for single phase line to line loads on a 120/240 single phase supply
(3) allows this in three phase and two phase systems if voltage to ground is 120 volts.

That said you don't find single pole breakers over 30 amps all that often.

This was from 2017 NEC, my guess is it probably hasn't really changed in 2020 or 2023 though.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
My wording is less than clear a lot of time, I am getting off my feet a few and this is like mental masturbation crashing in these threads. It was me clearing a thought about trip speed on a tied breaker, so there is a delay in the second cause we tied them with a nail, the reason for the opening of the second isnt fault with device on the other circuit but simply for service and disconnect.
Would clear a fault tied or not. I got a call from the maint and handyman of the church. The panel was well stuffed and packed with tandems. A lot going on and some wire to breaker mismatch, some 12 on 15 and they didnt realize the guy prolly only had 12 on the truck and it connected to 14 down the line in Jbox. I know the last guy did this job. He is not loking for extra hard work but is a top master aint gonna get the basic ocpd wrong and violate some major principle. We had blacks we had reds we had some switchloops, multi wires on different tandems from hell. Took me a few minutes to grasp a couple concepts a true master used to apply the rules. In all the confusion I find where he had landed both ungrounded conductors on L1 thru different breakers and I thought thru the different scenerio and come to the conclusion both were on light circuits, no recept, fixed fixtures nominal load, I even might have tried to fix it but it was congested to say the least. They did some addition and wished they would have used 8 space instead of 6.