Sleved romex with rigid pvc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Because it's literally impossible to secure a cable without simultaneously supporting it, so it goes without saying that if a cable is permitted to be unsupported it is always also going to be unsecured.
All you have to do is use listed conduit or tubing and you can go without saying it permanently. :D

Hatfield

Incorrect the outside diameter is the same so fittings are interchangeable, the inside diameter is different so you and 90's etc. would need to be different. The drawing you show is plumbing pipe. We use both 40 and 80 all the time

See Carlon attachment

This is not true. It's the outside diameter of the pipe that differs.

Attachments

• Conduit_Schedule_40_and_80.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well just cause I want to add something.

1100551339_2.jpg

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
:eek:hmy:

The Conduit was designed for heavier protection of the conductors. It is easier to manufacture the same dia. of conduit and just add an additional thickness. Consequently the internal dimensions are the same and the over all thickness is different. So sch 40 is double and called Sch 80.
Simple.
I thought we had laid that to rest already. The illustration you link to is for a fitting! That means that the ODs. of the two types of pipe are equal and the IDs of the two types of fitting are equal.

spurlockda

This is getting argumentative.

This is getting argumentative.

Plain and simple...

If you do not have to remove building or structure finish to get to the end of the sleeve or chase, it is NOT CONCEALED. The major portion of the run may be CONCEALED... but if one or both ends are not behind a finished surface that has to be removed to access the sleeve or chase, the sleeve or chase is EXPOSED as far as the fish rule is concerned. The fish rule applies only where you have to remove some of the building or structure finished surface in order to fish the cable. A built-in sleeve or chase is just does not meet that criteria. It [typically] already has access to one or both ends; no building or structure finish has to be removed for access. You cannot run NM in that sleeve or chase unless you secure it at intervals not exceeding 4.5'. Doesn't matter whether you fish it through or not.

That is inaccurate. You can fish through outlet openings without destroying the finish and you don't have to staple every 4 1/2'. Most chases I build are open during rough construction and get closed up during finishing. I don't know of many chases thay you can access every 4 1/2' --- unless it's big enough for you to crawl through.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That is inaccurate. You can fish through outlet openings without destroying the finish and you don't have to staple every 4 1/2'. Most chases I build are open during rough construction and get closed up during finishing. I don't know of many chases thay you can access every 4 1/2' --- unless it's big enough for you to crawl through.
Yes you can, because that run is concealed. That outlet is required to have a cover. To get to where you can fish to the outlet you have to remove the cover, which is a building or structure finish surface.

iwire

Staff member
The Conduit was designed for heavier protection of the conductors. It is easier to manufacture the same dia. of conduit and just add an additional thickness. Consequently the internal dimensions are the same and the over all thickness is different. So sch 40 is double and called Sch 80.
Simple.

The outside diameter of 40 and 80 are the same size. They use the same fittings.

The inside diameter does change and that is why the NEC has different fill tables for 40 and 80.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
See post #108 for additional information.
FWIW the fittings come in two thicknesses also, but you may use Sch 80 fittings with Sch 40 pipe if you want to stock only one type.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I agree and there is no maximum fill for sleeves. Chapter 9, Table 1, Note 2:
I will agree...

However, the installer also needs to be aware of the requirements of 310.15(B)(3)(a) as well....so we not only focus on the fill but also the ending ampacity of the effort as well. I am more that 100% everyone knows that but always good to mention.

spurlockda

Whaaaaat?

Whaaaaat?

Yes you can, because that run is concealed. That outlet is required to have a cover. To get to where you can fish to the outlet you have to remove the cover, which is a building or structure finish surface.

What? The finish is the sheetrock or tile or real wood paneling or etc. The "finish" is (relatively speaking) permanent. To get inside of the finish, you have to cut a hole (in effect you are damaging the sheetrock or whatever) in the "finish" which then must be repaired.

The cover on the other hand is designed to be removed and replaced without damaging the finish. Sure it is required to have a cover but not necessarily a "permanent" cover.

Try telling your wife that she cannot change switch or outlet covers. :lol:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What? The finish is the sheetrock or tile or real wood paneling or etc. The "finish" is (relatively speaking) permanent. To get inside of the finish, you have to cut a hole (in effect you are damaging the sheetrock or whatever) in the "finish" which then must be repaired.
And when you do this, you can fish the cable (NM).

The cover on the other hand is designed to be removed and replaced without damaging the finish. Sure it is required to have a cover but not necessarily a "permanent" cover.
And you can fish the cable if you do it this way too... as long as you use a Code-qualifying raceway where longer than 4.5ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.