Smoke detector in hallway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I was thinking the wording had changed so smoke detectors are now required in bedrooms and one in the living area, etc. some inspectors tell me to not put one in the hallway but un the 'living area'. Now another inspector is telling me the one in the living area is too far from the bedrooms and I need to put one in the hallway near the bedrooms. I'm confused. How do you interpret this ? Thank you .

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I can't cite the code but what I remember is that one is required just outside the sleeping area (which is probably your hallway) and for new construction are required in the bedrooms also.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
From NFPA.org

Installing smoke alarms

Choose smoke alarms that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.

Install smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.

On levels without bedrooms, install alarms in the living room (or den or family room) or near the stairway to the upper level, or in both locations.

Smoke alarms installed in the basement should be installed on the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs leading to the next level.

Smoke alarms should be installed at least 10 feet (3 meters) from a cooking appliance to minimize false alarms when cooking.

Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises). Wall-mounted alarms should be installed not more than 12 inches away from the ceiling (to the top of the alarm).

If you have ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm within 3 feet of the peak but not within the apex of the peak (four inches down from the peak).

-----------------
Noteworthy :
Many moons ago, when smoke detectors were first required outside all bedrooms, there was a maximum distance from bedroom doors - 10 feet

That was really objective, and no need to interpret.

But now, it's ambiguously "outside each sleeping area" which could be interpreted as 1 directly outside each bedroom door.

Also, it really doesn't matter what's written in one particular code, it matters what each municipality requires.

Here in KC, there are 2 municipalities that I know of which require a smoke/carbon monoxide detector "in the approach to any bedrooms" and also require smoke detectors updated to most recently adopted cycle in any home where any type of building permit is required.

The bottom line? I call and ask. Every time.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
From NFPA.org

Installing smoke alarms

Choose smoke alarms that have the label of a recognized testing laboratory.

Install smoke alarms inside each bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement.

On levels without bedrooms, install alarms in the living room (or den or family room) or near the stairway to the upper level, or in both locations.

Smoke alarms installed in the basement should be installed on the ceiling at the bottom of the stairs leading to the next level.

Smoke alarms should be installed at least 10 feet (3 meters) from a cooking appliance to minimize false alarms when cooking.

Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises). Wall-mounted alarms should be installed not more than 12 inches away from the ceiling (to the top of the alarm).

If you have ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm within 3 feet of the peak but not within the apex of the peak (four inches down from the peak).

-----------------
Noteworthy :
Many moons ago, when smoke detectors were first required outside all bedrooms, there was a maximum distance from bedroom doors - 10 feet

That was really objective, and no need to interpret.

But now, it's ambiguously "outside each sleeping area" which could be interpreted as 1 directly outside each bedroom door.

Also, it really doesn't matter what's written in one particular code, it matters what each municipality requires.

Here in KC, there are 2 municipalities that I know of which require a smoke/carbon monoxide detector "in the approach to any bedrooms" and also require smoke detectors updated to most recently adopted cycle in any home where any type of building permit is required.

The bottom line? I call and ask. Every time.

Only if the bedroom doors are more than 42 feet apart. In my home, the bedrooms are clustered at the end of a dead end hallway, well within a 21 foot radius circle. In fact, I could probably locate the smoke alarm out in the living room and meet the distance requirement. Spacing requirements for smoke alarms are the same as for smoke detectors, a 21 foot radius circle or prescriptively 900 square feet per detector.

Keep in mind that there is an additional requirement for added coverage if the total area on a level is more than 1,000 square feet. In that case, NFPA 72-2013 calls for one every 500 square feet.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm not sure Rob. This is the most current I had on hand, not intending to mislead.

No problem and thank you. :cool: Someone asked me just the other day about the 21' rule and whether or not it was currently applicable and I wasn't sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.