Snap together receptacle and switch covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Never saw this before - originally thought that someone cut several cover plates to allow installation. However, when taking two off, noticed that these are interlocking pieces. Has anyone seen or used these before?? Are they legit? My other concern is the spaces between pieces when in place.

Attachments

• DSCF5962.jpg
    DSCF5962.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF5965.jpg
    DSCF5965.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They sell them at Big Orange and are fine if installed properly. IMO they're junk and look pretty terrible but to each his own.

2c287632-b2d0-4a1b-ab0a-45600b975ccf_1000.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...l-Plate-Light-Almond-007-0PSC1-00T/202059838#

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Years ago every distributor, like us, seemed to carry them. They helped provide a quick fix when changing a receptacle to be a GFI style. At that time 'rectangular opening' style plates had very few selections. As more plates became available, the need for these sectional plates decreased.

I know at one time I had to use one at my kitchen counter. but then again I am a DIYer.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Never saw this before - originally thought that someone cut several cover plates to allow installation. However, when taking two off, noticed that these are interlocking pieces. Has anyone seen or used these before?? Are they legit? My other concern is the spaces between pieces when in place.

A four gang plate with the duplex in the position shown could be a little more difficult to come up with - at least on demand. Same goes for many other configurations or multiple gang applications.

That said many try to keep it simple and only use commonly available one piece trim plates as much as possible, and with the popularity of decora style devices these days does kind of make that simpler anyway.

cadpoint

In most cases if the chained cut in box are not properly aligned to the next one and held secured it can add up to what you see.

The installer did one or two things wrong; they didn't secure the boxes properly together, and they didn't watch the alignment of the devices they installed.

If the box where all correct. You could have tryed to correct this little bite of the spacing on the devices by pushing the last two to the right, then add and test each cover plate.

There's no way to easily fix a striped box connection screw, which can be caused easily with popeye arms, or the ever present usage of power drills. I guess you could use neddle noses and try to adjust them, but most if not all the devices would have to be removed.

You'd probably have to swap the last two devices on left you have to any chance of finding a
matching 4-device cover. Finding a 3 switch with a GFCI size blank one would probably have better odds.

I also inverse the cover plate to check spacing and bubble check before I use cover screws.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.