Solar - 1000V rated system feasibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubk

Would it make sense to design around 1000V rated wire/equipment for large centrally located inverter solar PV systems? There seems to be a lot of VD loss on the DC side from the combiner boxes to the inverter. 1000V insulated wire will obviously be more costly but that may be offset by smaller conductor sizes. I'm curious on the BOS on the DC side and the costs associated with the 1000V rating.

Besoeker

Would it make sense to design around 1000V rated wire/equipment for large centrally located inverter solar PV systems? There seems to be a lot of VD loss on the DC side from the combiner boxes to the inverter. 1000V insulated wire will obviously be more costly but that may be offset by smaller conductor sizes.
Why would the insulation class result in smaller conductor sizes?

Besoeker

The strings would be sized up to 1000V instead of 600V
Then you would need an inverter rated at 1,000V input.
I'm inclined to think that any cost offsetting of wire size and insulating class would likely be insignificant compared to the cost difference between the lower and higher voltage inverters.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Then you would need an inverter rated at 1,000V input.
I'm inclined to think that any cost offsetting of wire size and insulating class would likely be insignificant compared to the cost difference between the lower and higher voltage inverters.

I am with you.

Also, the dielectric effect of a particular voltage of DC is far more pronounced than the same voltage of AC and that would surely have to be addressed. A kV of DC is quite a beast to be trying to handle.

Besoeker

1000VDC for PV applications is typical in Europe. I think they go ungrounded, so be sure the inverter is listed for use in the US.
The system used for most of Europe is three phase 400V/230V with the neutral grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.