Solaredge Backup Inverter Generator Connection?

Birken Vogt

Perhaps. But the old fashioned methods work, and the newfangled ones don't work, as described on this thread.

Sol-Ark appears to be one that is both modern, one box, and works correctly both tied to the grid and not.

If you are the type of person who wants battery backup to grid, and gen to recharge battery, you can afford to pay what it takes anyway for a wall full of equipment or whatever.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Perhaps. But the old fashioned methods work, and the newfangled ones don't work, as described on this thread.

No, this thread is only about Solaredge. (Which IMO is a !@#$ company.) It doesn't reflect poorly on any other company that's released newfangled generator integration.

bradeyboy

Occupation
Engineering Technician
We have quite a few Energy Hub installs that are waiting for the new firmware so that the customer's generator can be wired in. We selected a willing customer near our shop a couple weeks ago to see if we can make it work. With assistance from SE tech support, we are still having problems. Not ready for prime time yet.
So the firmware is still not available to support this latest note?

Birken Vogt

No, this thread is only about Solaredge. (Which IMO is a !@#$ company.) It doesn't reflect poorly on any other company that's released newfangled generator integration.
Granted.

I came in late and it sounds like the kind of weird projects I get involved in, customers always asking will their generator recharge this or that. Tesla (owner working on hacking it), Generac promised but never came through with theirs, plus any number of others like Tesla that never even tried. Enphase has a strict list of "approved" generators that half of them are obsolete. I can't even keep track of all the other mfrs out there.

Occupation
Retired
SolarEdge support for generator integration works like this. The SolarEdge inverter and the generator can never operate at the same time. Obviously the same can be said about the grid and generator. Upon grid loss, if there is sufficient energy from PV + Battery, the energy hub inverter supplies the load and the generator remains off. If there is insufficient energy, i.e. the battery reaches low soc, the generator can receive a start command, and after a short delay the inverter relinquishes grid forming mode and the generator is connected to the microgrid to take over. In this mode, the battery can be recharged by the energy hub inverter from generator power. When the battery is charged, a stop signal can be sent to the generator and the inverter can take over.
I have three of Solaredges newest batteries and I want to connect a generator so that I can charge the batteries if there is no sun. You say this is possible but I can’t find any information on it or how to get it installed and working properly. Can you send me in the right direction? Thank you so much.