Solid wire and crimping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Can solid wire (say #6 solid) be butt spliced using a crimped connection? I have never seen a solid wire crimped.

Thank you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Can solid wire (say #6 solid) be butt spliced using a crimped connection? I have never seen a solid wire crimped.

Thank you.

Some but by no means all butt splice connectors are rated for solid wire. I would expect to have to use a cycle controlled crimper to match the connectors. No universal crimp pliers if using solid wire.
JMO

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
It is for GEC extension.

The plumbers did a plumbing upgrade and the city has required a new grounding system. The plumbers did not do the GEC properly so the customer wants me to use a butt splice to extend the GEC to the panel and I refused to use a crimp and butt splice on the solid wire.

I said I will replace the whole system properly without a butt splice.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It is for GEC extension.

The plumbers did a plumbing upgrade and the city has required a new grounding system. The plumbers did not do the GEC properly so the customer wants me to use a butt splice to extend the GEC to the panel and I refused to use a crimp and butt splice on the solid wire.

Cadweld or similar should be adequate but may be more expensive than the new 6.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It is for GEC extension.

Irreversible crimp is all you need.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Don't call me stupid, but I've wondered about using a swaging tool and aluminum crimp sleeves. The kind you would use for wire rope or Airline cable.

Never done it, but I thought about it in the past

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Don't call me stupid, but I've wondered about using a swaging tool and aluminum crimp sleeves. The kind you would use for wire rope or Airline cable.

Never done it, but I thought about it in the past

Funny you mention that. Last spring, I had to extend a Ufer connection to feed a new panel location. #4 wire fits a 3/16" oval copper Nicopress sleeve. Perfectly. Not a listed splice, but DEFINITELY irreversible and low resistance.

IMG_2550.jpg

I did this at my parents' house; I sleep just fine knowing how I did this splice. :)

SceneryDriver

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Funny you mention that. Last spring, I had to extend a Ufer connection to feed a new panel location. #4 wire fits a 3/16" oval copper Nicopress sleeve. Perfectly. Not a listed splice, but DEFINITELY irreversible and low resistance.

I did this at my parents' house; I sleep just fine knowing how I did this splice. :)

SceneryDriver

heck yeah, I'd sleep okay with that

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

T&B makes a line of C-Taps that are listed as Grounding and Bonding Equipment (suitable for splicing the GEC) that can be applied by T&B lever action crimpers. The T&B C-Tap #54720 will do two #6 solid copper conductors side-by-side. The #54720 is color coded "brown". The installation instructions are available Here.

I picked up the tool, used, on eBay.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I know about the irreversable crimp option offered by NEC. But are the splices listed for SOLID conductor?

ETA: just checked their site. Burndy YC4C6 are good for solid as well.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.

SceneryDriver
care to explain
whatthe.jpg

Besoeker

Thank you.
Copper is malleable so I guess it can be crimped. Even at #6AWG or around 16mm2 would be closest for us in the SI world........:p
Not something I've tried...........

MAC702

I thought that looked funny but didn't blow it up to look at it further. I figured he HAD to have known about it, and didn't share, so it must have been a non-issue. But, well, it sure LOOKS LIKE an issue!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Looks like a metal raceway enclosing an GEC that was not properly bonded to it at either end. Perhaps a shot of lightning at some time or another, proving a picture is worth a thousand words.

Personally, I would not bother with putting that type of splice in a box nor would it V.

Status
Not open for further replies.