Spa GFCI Breaker Tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

I have got an interesting one.

I have a GFCI breaker in a service panel feeding a SPA that keeps tripping on occasion.

I replaced the breaker but to no positive result, with the exception that It was tripping instantaneously and now the new one trips on occasion.

The SPA tech support rep believes the problem may be an appliance in the home that is leaking current. He has requested that I look for continuity between

my neutrals and my grounds, and also the hots and the grounds. Could he be correct? I have found that Central HVAC Systems will show continuity between

the hots and the grounds. Why do not these appliances ever trip GFCIs?

Thanks for the help with this one.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had a spa guy say that the problem with the spa is that the electrician wired it with stranded wire and the entire run needed to be replaced. The guy was an idiot. I finally spoke with his boss and he diagnosed it on the phone when I explained it to him. It was exactly what I told the technician. I refused to rewire the tub because it was done correctly-- no I did not do the initial install.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I had a spa guy say that the problem with the spa is that the electrician wired it with stranded wire and the entire run needed to be replaced. The guy was an idiot. I finally spoke with his boss and he diagnosed it on the phone when I explained it to him. It was exactly what I told the technician. I refused to rewire the tub because it was done correctly-- no I did not do the initial install.

if solid wires were in the instructions that came with the unit? :huh:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
if solid wires were in the instructions that came with the unit? :huh:
That wasn't the point. The problem had nothing to do with the solid vs stranded wire. We could have pigtailed the solid but he said the entire run had to be stranded-- that has nothing to do with the problem on hand. The wire is still stranded and there are no issues.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Hello,

I have a GFCI breaker in a service panel feeding a SPA that keeps tripping on occasion.

I replaced the breaker but to no positive result, with the exception that It was tripping instantaneously and now the new one trips on occasion.

The SPA tech support rep believes the problem may be an appliance in the home that is leaking current. He has requested that I look for continuity between

my neutrals and my grounds, and also the hots and the grounds. Could he be correct? I have found that Central HVAC Systems will show continuity between

Tech support for consumer produts is almost totally useless today. My bet would be the heating element too. Groundfaults upstream of your gfci aren't causing the tripping. Do you have a megger? I would disconnect the heating element and meg it to ground, or even stick an electrode in the water and meg to that.

Tech support people like that are part of the reason I am planning an exodus to "Galt's Gulch" :lol:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hello,

I kinda agree with the others, does it trip only when the heaters are on? or when the air is turned on? Could also be a bad check valve letting water leak back into the air blower motor.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Tech support for consumer produts is almost totally useless today. My bet would be the heating element too. Groundfaults upstream of your gfci aren't causing the tripping. Do you have a megger? I would disconnect the heating element and meg it to ground, or even stick an electrode in the water and meg to that.

Tech support people like that are part of the reason I am planning an exodus to "Galt's Gulch" :lol:

Just keep your hands out of the water when you do that! :p

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I just went through this myself. I did a "cheater" test; I opened the control box, disconnected the leads going to the heater, turned on the GFI breaker and it held in, proving (to me) that it was the heater elements. There is a non-conductive sheath over the NiChrome wire, if it corrodes, it leaks current. That's why you have a GFI breaker!

I am glad I'm not a Spa Tech though. I did it myself... never again! I was thinking it was an electrical problem and the heater element was cheap on-line, so why would I hire someone else? Total PITA when you mix plumbing and electrical. It was the plumbing stuff that really set me off. A lot of the parts were assembled and glued in place, no way to dismantle them without cutting the PVC pipe. Then in some areas they didn't leave you enough to glue a coupling back in afterward. Other fittings were obviously assembled with the tub on a bench upside down, so were nearly impossible to access with it installed. The NEXT time I have to change the heater element, I'm either going to pay some numbnuts to do it or I'm going to buy a new spa.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
One older hot tub I worked on had controls external to the tub. The pump, heater and control were under a step built for access to hot tub. During cool weather the vapor from the heated water would condense just above it and drip down onto the electrical connections. Another was a sealed relay that had cracked and would allow moisture, condensation, to enter once the water got hot.

I do not change heaters. They could buy a new tub before I figured out how to do it and completed the task.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Could the sensitivity of the GFCI be reduced to stop tripping?

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

No. There are no adjustments that can be made by field engineers.

They are designed to save lives and they work.

The GFCI may be replaced with one of lower sensitivity,with due care not to compromise safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.