Splicing Branch Ckts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you had about (40) 1p-20a branch ckts in a box(sized accordingly for box fill and conduit entering & leaving) that you had to be extended and you needed to splice them would wire nuts be the most likely scenario? Thanks.

Actually 314.28 applys only for conductors #4 or larger.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would use some type of wirenut and maybe a ground bar for all of the EGC's if there are any.

mstrlucky74

I would use some type of wirenut and maybe a ground bar for all of the EGC's if there are any.

Ok..maybe a dumb question...onviously the each hot would have to be under a separate wire nut but what about the grounds and neutrals? Just trying to get a count on wire nuts...not very important ...more just wanted to be right and curious. THANKS

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The EGC's can all be terminated together that's one reason that a ground bar bonded to the box would be a solution. The neutrals can be more tricky since you may be able to configure them into MWBC's but that could complicate things if you don't have a clear picture on how the existing circuits are setup.

BTW there are no dumb questions.

Rewire

The grounding conductor is the only one you can combine under a wirenut or terminal bar unless you have IG. all the hots and neutrals will need to be individually spliced.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you had about (40) 1p-20a branch ckts in a box(sized accordingly for box fill and conduit entering & leaving) that you had to be extended and you needed to splice them would wire nuts be the most likely scenario? Thanks.

Actually 314.28 applys only for conductors #4 or larger.

it might be neater to just add a din rail and some terminals. you are looking at 80 wire nuts.

fmtjfw

it might be neater to just add a din rail and some terminals. you are looking at 80 wire nuts.

Maybe 120 wire nuts.
I'd go with the DIN rail.

With the DIN rail you can get green/yellow blocks that connect the terminals to the DIN rail for box ground and interconnected grounds. That's what I used on my last panels change that had about 60 circuits.

Or, crimp butt connectors or Buchanan crimps. The butt connectors make the neatest job if you don't use DIN rail connection blocks. The crimps don't shake loose.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could follow Bob's advice or end up with something like this. :roll:

IMG_0327.JPG

fmtjfw

what is a din rail? Does anyone have a picture of one? Thanks

DIN rail is the name for any of several mounting schemes (basically different sizes) that are used in control panels foreign and domestic. There are a zillion things you can clip onto a DIN rail. It's easier than drilling a couple of mounting holes for each device.

DIN stands for Deutsche Industrie Norm (German Industrial Standard). They standardized 1000's of things. Lots of the European Standards are copies of the DINs. The picture is of some stuff clipped to a DIN rail. The rail in the picture is about 1-1/2 inches wide.

Attachments

• DIN_rail_images.jpeg
    DIN_rail_images.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 0

fmtjfw

Terminal strips work nice

termstrip.jpg

314.28 Pull and Junction Boxes and Conduit Bodies.
(E) Power Distribution Blocks. Power distribution blocks shall be permitted in pull and junction boxes over 1650 cm? (100 in.?) for connections of conductors where installed in boxes and where the installation complies with (1) through (5).
Exception: Equipment grounding terminal bars shall be permitted in smaller enclosures.
(4) Live Parts. Power distribution blocks shall not have uninsulated live parts exposed within a box, whether or not the box cover is installed.

The DIN rail connection blocks are finger-safe. The terminal strip would require an insulating cover.

iwire

Staff member
If I am wiring a machine, or perhaps a fire alarm I would go terminal strips.

If it was just normal branch circuits I would use wirenuts and not loose a minutes sleep if the finished product looked like the picture Infinity posted.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
If I am wiring a machine, or perhaps a fire alarm I would go terminal strips.

If it was just normal branch circuits I would use wirenuts and not loose a minutes sleep if the finished product looked like the picture Infinity posted.

true. the sleep would be lost by the guy in two years tracing stuff out. :rant:

din rail and blocks costs a whole lot more than wirenuts, and in a lot of
situations in existing stuff, can't be easily implemented (fancy word for
this crap won't fit here, willis)

i'm partial to 2 port Wago's, myself.

as for MWBC'c, some jurisdictions in my part of the world *require*
the neutral of the MWBC to be identified as to the circuits it serves,
in every junction box. it's fine if you know that going in, but a real
profit eater if you discover it on final, and have to revisit every j box.

Occupation
Inspector
How about this...

How about this...

A customer of mine I'm working with has this "Picasso" in the basement next to the Service panel. It is in his long term remodel plan to clean up this and other issues.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.