Splicing of Feeders to Sub Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks27

multi family dwelling, 100a sylvania 2p 1960 era sevice.Install new breakers, (wont reset) but different configuration to terminate. feeders are @ 12" short. so, maintanance dept. butt splices on extra length with approved t&b crimper, then splice tape etc. you experts see a problem with this install. I couldn't find any thing in NEC?

ty

Hey, who you calling experts? That's the Mythbusters :) (or at least Bob, Roger, Don, or anybody but myself)

These are spliced INSIDE the panel enclosure, correct?

e57

No need for even an approved T&B crimper if you aren't using crimps - because that itself is not required - you could do it with split bolts and tape, polaris lugs - wire nuts if you want to low ball it.... (not that I suggest that....)

However - I might be confused by the written portion above - the new breakers would not re-set????? :confused:

tkb

multi family dwelling, 100a sylvania 2p 1960 era sevice.Install new breakers, (wont reset) but different configuration to terminate. feeders are @ 12" short. so, maintanance dept. butt splices on extra length with approved t&b crimper, then splice tape etc. you experts see a problem with this install. I couldn't find any thing in NEC?

Don't forget the junction box.

sparks27

No need for even an approved T&B crimper if you aren't using crimps - because that itself is not required - you could do it with split bolts and tape, polaris lugs - wire nuts if you want to low ball it.... (not that I suggest that....)

However - I might be confused by the written portion above - the new breakers would not re-set????? :confused:

Thanks for the responses, The old mains 100A 2-pole wont reset when called out to trouble call (no power in apt.) so maintanance electrician installs new main breaker. but terminate differently, so crimps on extension to feeder. Yes the splice is inside deadfront of service meter section. this equipment is 1960 era and these breakers dont get exercised much. (Me either) most times one phase closes and the other leg is open. so lites are on in apt. But no outlets etc.

Thanks for the responses, The old mains 100A 2-pole wont reset when called out to trouble call (no power in apt.) so maintanance electrician installs new main breaker. but terminate differently, so crimps on extension to feeder. Yes the splice is inside deadfront of service meter section. this equipment is 1960 era and these breakers dont get exercised much. (Me either) most times one phase closes and the other leg is open. so lites are on in apt. But no outlets etc.

This makes me wonder about the breaker installation.

Was it the correct breaker?
How did it install to the bus?
Is it listed for the panelboard?
Why did the maintenance guy not install the same breaker that was original to the panelboard?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

sparks27

This makes me wonder about the breaker installation.

Was it the correct breaker?
How did it install to the bus?
Is it listed for the panelboard?
Why did the maintenance guy not install the same breaker that was original to the panelboard?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I will try to get some pics tomarrow of the installation. the breakers are Zinsco 2pole. And I believe the terminals are on the sides. the new ones are on the bottom so they add a 6" piece to the feeder. dont know if those are available (original type) I think they are replacment type.

sparks27

I will try to get some pics tomarrow of the installation. the breakers are Zinsco 2pole. And I believe the terminals are on the sides. the new ones are on the bottom so they add a 6" piece to the feeder. dont know if those are available (original type) I think they are replacment type.

so here it is, some contractor said something about this splice or replacment wasn't code compliant. Haven't had time to ask specifically what was against code. I never found anything codewise that restricted this replacment. contractor may not know what he's talking about?

ty

so here it is, some contractor said something about this splice or replacment wasn't code compliant. Haven't had time to ask specifically what was against code. I never found anything codewise that restricted this replacment. contractor may not know what he's talking about?

In a perfect world, I'd love to see the whole thing replaced.

But, I see no violation with the fix.
Anybody else?

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Test out each leg. Take them both off the breaker and put one on and try to turn on the breaker if it resets take it off and try the other one. There might be a problem with one of the legs

jwjrw

One of my customers has 2 apartment complexs. I am out there often replacing Zensco panels with burnt up buses. I get paid to make the service call at which time I find an empty spot to get the power back on and then paid to change the usally unsafe service panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.