Split bolts on feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPro85

Occupation
Smart Home Installer
Got a code reference for that?
A good reference is NEC 110.14(B), which requires splices to be made with approved connectors like compression connectors or mechanical lugs. While split bolts aren't explicitly prohibited, they must meet specific installation standards. Split bolts inside the panel can be unreliable long-term, which is why they're not usually recommended for service feeders. Check local codes for more specifics.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A good reference is NEC 110.14(B), which requires splices to be made with approved connectors like compression connectors or mechanical lugs. While split bolts aren't explicitly prohibited, they must meet specific installation standards. Split bolts inside the panel can be unreliable long-term, which is why they're not usually recommended for service feeders. Check local codes for more specifics.
A split bolt is a type of compression connector, is it not?

My local code is not different from the NEC on this.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Split bolts inside the panel can be unreliable long-term, which is why they're not usually recommended for service feeders. Check local codes for more specifics.
.You need to provide substantiation to your claims, this sounds like something you've heard with no real facts

jaggedben

Occupation
Also the question was actually about electrical tape. Say it's a c-tap instead of a split bolt. What's wrong with electrical tape if it's well done?

Splice-and-tape methods used to be commonplace before Polaris style multitap connectors and IPCs came about. With those new methods the old splice-and-tape methods may be arguably obsolete, but aside from the recent revision to 230.46 I don't believe they have actually been outlawed. Also I've seen taped up connections that have been doing their job for over 50 years, so I don't know why it would not be a 'permanent solution'. (I also experienced a multi-tap connector fail in less than a year.)

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
Split bolts are not recommended for service feeders inside the main panel. Compression connectors or mechanical lugs are preferred for a more reliable connection. Electrical tape, even if well done, isn't a permanent solution. Check local codes or consult an electrician for proper installation.
You're the only one that says not recommended.

Beated horse says they're allowed.

NPro85

Occupation
Smart Home Installer
A split bolt is a type of compression connector, is it not?

My local code is not different from the NEC on this.
You're right that split bolts provide compression, but they aren’t classified the same as UL-listed compression connectors like mechanical or crimp connectors. Split bolts require extra care for proper insulation, which can impact long-term reliability, especially in a panel. That’s why compression lugs or mechanical connectors are usually preferred. Always check NEC and manufacturer guidelines.

NPro85

Occupation
Smart Home Installer
You're the only one that says not recommended.

Beated horse says they're allowed.
I get where you're coming from. Split bolts are allowed by the NEC, but they require precise installation and insulation to maintain a safe and durable connection, which can be challenging in confined spaces like panels. That’s why many electricians prefer compression lugs or mechanical connectors for reliability. It's more about best practices than strict prohibition. Always good to double-check with local inspectors.

jaggedben

Occupation
You're right that split bolts provide compression, but they aren’t classified the same as UL-listed compression connectors like mechanical or crimp connectors. ...

They're not? Can you provide any information to support that assertion? Are you talking about a classification that matters to the thread topic? I admittedly don't know all that much about UL standards but I do know that at least some split bolts are listed so there is a product standard that covers them. Same for electrical tape.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One brand of split bolts says this about their product.
UL Listing: CU 486A Power & 467 Grounding / Suitable For Direct Burial CSA (Canadian Standards Association) Listing: C22.2 No. 65 Power & No. 41 Grounding / Suitable For Direct Burial
UL 486A is the standard wirenuts, compression lugs, and other types of pressure connectors are listed to.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Its just small outlet updates and such. No inspection. But I said there will be gf protection when I leave. They didn't want use stairs to basement to reset circuits, nor the expense. So explained the sacrifices, and said go for it it.

Double pole gfci QOs burn holes in the wallet quick.
So pig tail the neutral and land black and white on the GFI, splice the red and neutral and send it on downstream to another GFI. Why even mess with a 2pole breaker?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What about the ones that look like PVC coated cow udders? I cant think of the name, but aren't they UL?
Those are Polaris or Burndy connectors. Yes they are UL but I've gone back to split bolts after going back to some places I've installed Polaris and have seen that they do not age well. The insulation decays and falls off.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
That's what I did. It was setup with 5 outlets on 12-3, top halfs on one breaker, bottoms on the other. 3 are too close to water, and it was a 2 pole to honor the wiring and splits, or just gfci and cap the opposite phase.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
Those are Polaris or Burndy connectors. Yes they are UL but I've gone back to split bolts after going back to some places I've installed Polaris and have seen that they do not age well. The insulation decays and falls off.
Cheap? Heat? Or just.... Cheap? The lights switch in my old pickup truck is starting to soften and melt like play doe from the UV rays

jaggedben

Occupation
Are split bolts compliant with 230.46?
There likely aren't any that are so listed, but I don't know of any reason a company couldn't get them so listed. My impression is that in as much as the changes to 230.46 weren't based on any real world problems or failures of connectors, any connector that was otherwise listed could probably pass the tests.

Split bolts are not recommended for service feeders inside the main panel. Compression connectors or mechanical lugs are preferred for a more reliable connection. Electrical tape, even if well done, isn't a permanent solution. Check local codes or consult an electrician for proper installation.
I Just feel obligated to jump in and add another voice calling this out as blatantly wrong. I would trust a split bolt more over a mechanical lug any and every day of the week. And sorry, but I question the experience and knowledge of anyone who uses the term "service feeder".

Status
Not open for further replies.