Split bolts on feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
There likely aren't any that are so listed, but I don't know of any reason a company couldn't get them so listed. My impression is that in as much as the changes to 230.46 weren't based on any real world problems or failures of connectors, any connector that was otherwise listed could probably pass the tests.
Granted, but some AHJs are sticklers about 230.46.

cashpoppper

Occupation
hvac
My go-to brand makes double pole AFCIs and GFCIs but if they didn't make a double pole dual function breaker couldn't you just use a double pole AFCI and put GFCI receps in.
arc faults suck. after i passed inspection i pulled them all, resold them to someone else that needed them, and used good ol' $13 standard QO's. and made money in the end. I also had issues in the garage with brushed motors, oh wait, carbon that ARCS on the armature. yeah, guess how many Fin times i had to flip a reset switch. Out it went.

I'm running high wattage LED's, and the drivers make enough noise to annoy the breakers and kept tripping. I understand the point of arc faults, but the nuisance and annoyance they cause because of their built purpose, its just not something i want to deal with. Same with GFCI's, the installed one behind the fridge, and after my food spoiled twice, out it went, and a standard 20amp went in. the other one actually next to the sink and within reset-reach i left, thats good enough for the toaster.

Stupid.

cashpoppper

Occupation
hvac
AFCI-Receptacle-Interior-300-JAcs2.jpg

look at all that chaos that could be a fail point. or wait. maybe it's perfectly fine and the software written passing through them IC's is garbage because the guy doing it didn't care as he's living rent free in grandma's basement?

KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS - ok, i'm getting weird with that, but seriously? seriously!?!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
...Same with GFCI's, the installed one behind the fridge, and after my food spoiled twice, out it went...
Luckily for me, my house was built before that rule went into the NEC. I am fine with GFI on outside and bathroom circuits, but having that stuff on fridge and freezer circuits is just nuts.

chorty55

Occupation
Mechanical
AFCI-Receptacle-Interior-300-JAcs2.jpg

look at all that chaos that could be a fail point. or wait. maybe it's perfectly fine and the software written passing through them IC's is garbage because the guy doing it didn't care as he's living rent free in grandma's basement?

KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS - ok, i'm getting weird with that, but seriously? seriously!?!
Look at all that circuitry. Sell them by the semi load. Someone is smiling for the wrong reasons.

Who's to say instead of it tripping from a programmed fault condition, its programmed to turn off from a specific frequency off the conductors? Or how about a POW like the walkie talkies?

If your LED drivers make enough digital noise from the bridge/rectification, who's to say they can't/couldn't be programmed for listing to something else? At least make the damn fridge and coffee pot function better....my god....

I dunno about this new fancy stuff....too many variables....

Status
Not open for further replies.