Split Phase Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I have split phase equipment that operates at 208/230V single phase. The equipment can also accept 400V-Neutral split phase connection

What color wire would you use for this line wire that will sometimes be used as a neutral, and can also be used as a live phase depending on jumper configuration?

I am thinking that it will have to be black, and not white.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have split phase equipment that operates at 208/230V single phase. The equipment can also accept 400V-Neutral split phase connection

What color wire would you use for this line wire that will sometimes be used as a neutral, and can also be used as a live phase depending on jumper configuration?

I know from your other posts you are involved with CE-marked equipment, so much will depend on the standard in effect.

If UL and NEC, some IEC...

http://www.siemens.fi/pool/products...a_suojaus_ja_ohjaus/ul-opas-2010-englanti.pdf

fifty60

Very useful link. This particular piece of equipment is not listed, nor is it CE marked. The equipment will not use the split phase connection at all times, so the 2nd line will not be grounded at all times... that's what makes it a special case, the line will not always be a neutral...depending on jumper configuration.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Very useful link. This particular piece of equipment is not listed, nor is it CE marked. The equipment will not use the split phase connection at all times, so the 2nd line will not be grounded at all times... that's what makes it a special case, the line will not always be a neutral...depending on jumper configuration.
If not too much trouble, I'd try to find a conductor colored black (or same color as the always-ungrounded conductor) with one or more white tracers. If too much hassle, just use same color as the always-ungrounded conductor. I assume it's connected to a field wiring terminal, so label the terminal something like L2/N or L2(N), prefix as necessary (e.g. 1L2/1N or 2L2/2N), and correlate wire & terminal labels with schematic information.

Last edited:

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Educate me please. Exactly what is a "400V-Neutral split phase" connection? I've never heard of one of those. Would you happpen to have a reference?

ice

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Foreign... as in not in the USA, I imagine.

"Split-Phase", in this context, is a term that I clearly and absolutely, do not have an understanding.

Yes, I understand the term in the context of "Split-Phase Motor" - which has nothing to do with 120/240 Single-Phase-North-American-Common-Supply. "Split-Phase" shows up in the NEC only as refered to a "split-phase motor" and only shows up in IEEE 100 as refered to "split-phase motor".

Yes, I am familiar with coloquial use of "split-phase" meaning 120/240 SPNACS - however, I thought it meant a connection that took 3W 120/240 (two hots and a neutral) but in the OP context, that don't work. So, I'm lost - or as my trusted peer group compadre would say, "Worm - you're all wet."

So, I ask for an education. Specific Q's:
"split phase equipment that operates at 208/230V single phase" - Does this split-phase equipment take two hots and a neutral, or just two hots, when connected to 120/240 SPNACS.

"The equipment can also accept 400V-Neutral split phase connection" - My understanding of European 400V is: Wye connected 230V L-N. So, is the connection two hots (400V L-L) and a neutral (230V L-N) or a single phase connection 230V L-N?

Truely, I'm just looking for an education on the term "split-phase" as referenced to 120/240 SPNACS and European 400/230 Wye.

ice

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Truely, I'm just looking for an education on the term "split-phase" as referenced to 120/240 SPNACS and European 400/230 Wye.
I don't think the OP meant to imply a typical split phase condition, but rather meant 230V from a 400/230V wye system, i.e. one line and one neutral, being connected to input terminals which would typically in the USA be connected to two line conductors.

I use the term split phase on occasion to describe power supplied by a transformer center-tapped secondary winding, such as 120/240V 1? 3W, or that part of a 240/120V 3? 4W, or even a similar configuration of different voltage. Never really use it as a reference to any technical standard definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.