spraying contact cleaner while it's Live

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

zappy

The float switch is sometimes working sometimes not. I think maybe the contacts are dirty, any advice? Doesn't say on the can anywhere not to use on energized equipment. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_7062.jpeg
    IMG_7062.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7061.jpeg
    IMG_7061.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 20

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Does it say aything about "flammable"? When last I looked -- admittedly some time ago -- contact cleaner contained alcohol and Freon™.

I'm quite sure the propellant is something different today, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Many modern refrigerants (propellants) are flammable, and a flash fire is only half your problem; incomplete combustion is also likely, which will leave carbon soot on the contacts.

zappy

Does it say aything about "flammable"? When last I looked -- admittedly some time ago -- contact cleaner contained alcohol and Freon™.

I'm quite sure the propellant is something different today, but I still wouldn't recommend it. Many modern refrigerants (propellants) are flammable, and a flash fire is only half your problem; incomplete combustion is also likely, which will leave carbon soot on the contacts.
ty

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Got a lighter? Hold it up to the spray (safely pointing it away from everything) and see it it ignites. I’m going to bet that it does…

Also, being a float switch, it might be moisture intrusion. I would first do a quick spritz if WD-40, which is a water displacer (that’s what the WD stands for) and is electrically inert. But don’t spray that live either.

Safest bet is to never spray ANYTHING around a live electrical circuit.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Got a lighter? Hold it up to the spray (safely pointing it away from everything) and see it it ignites. I’m going to bet that it does…

Also, being a float switch, it might be moisture intrusion. I would first do a quick spritz if WD-40, which is a water displacer (that’s what the WD stands for) and is electrically inert. But don’t spray that live either.

Safest bet is to never spray ANYTHING around a live electrical circuit.
Good grief! We would have been sacked for having a lighter in the industrial world we lived in!

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Lawyer around the corner from me won a 1.5 million judgement for a teenage girl that got badly burned by hairspray because it used propane for propellent.

This case arises from a tragic accident involving
appellant Faberge's hair spray product, Aqua Net. The appellee
Alison Nowak punctured an aerosol can of Aqua Net near a flame
and suffered severe injuries from the resulting fire. The jury
found that a defective valve system and inadequate warnings on
the hair spray can proximately caused Alison's injuries. She was
awarded damages of $1.5 million.

You really have to be careful with aerosol can propellants

Joethemechanic

Occupation
We use hairspray as the propellant in potato guns.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Potato-Gun

Yeah, I've seen that done back in the day.

This lawyer told me all about the case. They were using a CFC propellant and wanted to switch back in the 80's. There was a non CFC, non flammable propellant that they were going to use, but it altered the smell while spraying. They felt this was going to hurt customer loyalty. So they went with the propane even though internal memos revealed that they knew it was far less safe.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I learned that from James Bond (Roger Moore vintage) in Live and Let Die.

I did try that trick using a cigar for ignition, it wasn’t as easy as depicted but it happened. so now I am trained and ready. Every time I think about giving up cigars, I think about how that could save my life some day. Unfortunately nobody in my house has used hair spray since the 90s. Luckily so far, zero deadly (or otherwise) snakes in my bathroom to try it out on since 1973.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... Safest bet is to never spray ANYTHING around a live electrical circuit.
Non-conductive wasp spray exists specifically for use on live apparatus. Is it also non-flammable? I don't know.

There may be a non-conductive and non-flammable contact cleaner out there, but why would anybody consider working on live equipment when it isn't absolutely necessary?

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Non-conductive wasp spray exists specifically for use on live apparatus. Is it also non-flammable? I don't know.

There may be a non-conductive and non-flammable contact cleaner out there, but why would anybody consider working on live equipment when it isn't absolutely necessary?
I looked up the SDS of two brands I have bought in the past and what's currently in my kit (Spectracide Pro, rated to 47kV). All flammable.

garbo

I was a maintenance electrician for 50 enjoyable years and spraying float switches and other controls are at best a short temporary fix. Best to replace it. I ripped a Ford so called mechanic when he told me that he fixed my brake switch by spraying contact cleaner on it. Less then a week later his so called fix failed.A few days later after complaing to Ford they told me they just came out with a recall and they would replace the brake switch. Only time that I used contact cleaner was on an old starter contact that we did not have either a replacement starter or set of contacts. Would use a contact file to clean contacts then spray but always replaced them ASAP.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
I was a maintenance electrician for 50 enjoyable years and spraying float switches and other controls are at best a short temporary fix. Best to replace it. I ripped a Ford so called mechanic when he told me that he fixed my brake switch by spraying contact cleaner on it. Less then a week later his so called fix failed.A few days later after complaing to Ford they told me they just came out with a recall and they would replace the brake switch. Only time that I used contact cleaner was on an old starter contact that we did not have either a replacement starter or set of contacts. Would use a contact file to clean contacts then spray but always replaced them ASAP.
I really only use that kind of stuff to clean out gunk and dirt that is binding the mechanical operation. of contacts

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Its flammable, a local hvac tech found out the hard way.
Never spray anything on energized circuits.
I just use 99% IPA as contact cleaner and the method pton described in post #5.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Its flammable, a local hvac tech found out the hard way.
Never spray anything on energized circuits.
I just use 99% IPA as contact cleaner and the method pton described in post #5.

These must be really handy