Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I ran across this article in USA today about
" suicide Squirrels driving utilities nuts"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-11-suicide-squirrels_N.htm

in the picture shown
The Lincoln Electric System uses a squirrel guard from a company called Central Maloney. The picture shows an older version of squirrel guard on a transformer bushing
That guy seems to sucking on disaster.

{Moderator's Note: I removed the photo. We don't allow images of dead animals. If anyone wants to see that, they can look at the article.}

Last edited by a moderator:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Maybe it's this type of squirrel...

army_squirrel1233748592.jpg

robbietan

our system is plagued by pigeons - which is why we installed some barbed wire at poles where pigeons were reported to have caused line outages

zog

I have installed many squirrel gaurds in subs. Once we had a company (Automotive) that had several outages from these guys, we did all of thier emergency services. They were starting to think we were training a team of suicide squirrels. I photoshopped this guy with our company shirt and hard hat for them.

USMC1302

Jraef:
That insurgent squirrel in the pic has an AT-4 84mm anti-armor weapon. He will be combat ineffective as he's holding it backwards

brian john

We had a customer that operated a large data center, the Facility manager was showing some investors from Japan around when the power went out, UPS are on line, generator starts all is fine.

The manager went ballistic and wanted a full report, the final report from the utility said squirrel. He refused to believe a simple squirrel could knock something as complicated as his facility off line and demanded further investigation.

So the head facility guy goes out to the pole and takes a picture of the fried squirrel laying at the base of the pole.

ericsherman37

We had a customer that operated a large data center, the Facility manager was showing some investors from Japan around when the power went out, UPS are on line, generator starts all is fine.

The manager went ballistic and wanted a full report, the final report from the utility said squirrel. He refused to believe a simple squirrel could knock something as complicated as his facility off line and demanded further investigation.

So the head facility guy goes out to the pole and takes a picture of the fried squirrel laying at the base of the pole.

Nature often trumps technology. Point in case.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Here's another one from over the weekend.

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-centerville-house-explosion-092710,0,3298896.story

If the link goes away, the short shory is - squirrel climbs on a transformer and BAM! Surge starts house fire and causes gas leak. House blows up while firefighters are inside. House gone, tree rat dead. Good news - firefighters only received minor injuries...last one gets out of hospital tomorrow. God bless the smoke-eaters.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If the link goes away, the short shory is . . . .
Posting links is not a problem, so long as you give enough information to help the readers decide whether or not they want to click the link. If you are posting a link to a possibly disturbing photo (for my part, I can't handle seeing photos of third degree burns or dead animals before I have had my second cup of coffee :roll:), then please advise the readers of what the link will show. We will delete any such photos, if they are visible within a posted comment.

renosteinke

OK, irreverent comment time ... then I'm off for the day.

Want to catch a squirrel? It's easy. Just climb a tree and act like a nut.

Otherwise, I reccomend the services of either a "Critter Abatement Technician" or a "FEline Replacement Rodent Eliminating Technician." Both available at the local humane society.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Posting links is not a problem, so long as you give enough information to help the readers decide whether or not they want to click the link. If you are posting a link to a possibly disturbing photo (for my part, I can't handle seeing photos of third degree burns or dead animals before I have had my second cup of coffee :roll:), then please advise the readers of what the link will show. We will delete any such photos, if they are visible within a posted comment.

Content isn't the problem...it's just I don't know how long the story link will be valid. The only dead animal pic I'd ever want to post (very ripe raccoon in a 480-to-208 transformer) is something I didn't take a picture of, because I couldn't stand it!

catchtwentytwo

Utilities often explain power events as "animal contact" when they can't figure out the cause of the "hit". Try a Google search nasdaq squirrel and see what you get.

Obviously the real issue is not caused by the animal, something else failed to function as designed.

robbietan

Utilities often explain power events as "animal contact" when they can't figure out the cause of the "hit". Try a Google search nasdaq squirrel and see what you get.

Obviously the real issue is not caused by the animal, something else failed to function as designed.

not so with us. if the cause of an event is undetermined, we write "undetermined" as the cause. and it usually gets us a lot of trouble explaining.

animals which caused problems in the past for us included pigeons, snakes and people flying kites. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.