Name that violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mise

I was going into a Sears a while back and noticed this outside the entrance.
A 4sq box with the ends of extention cords comming out of both sides.
I went back a few weeks later and noticed they were using it to charge lawn mowers on display. A bit suprised a big store like that would alow hack work like this. (especially by front door)

I kow you guys will enjoy naming the violations.

BTW, looks like a male/female plugged into each other. Wonder where the male (cord cap) goes when they use it?

erickench

400.8(1) state's that flexible cords and cables cannot be used as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure. Can you use fixed wiring to charge lawn mowers? I thought the charger would have to plug into a receptacle box using a flexible cord.

pjg

a local impliment store uses that type of set up as security. they run extension cord (using one conductor) as a closed loop. break the loop and alarm activates.

480sparky

400.8(1) state's that flexible cords and cables cannot be used as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure......

It does. And this cord is doing just that......

..........Can you use fixed wiring to charge lawn mowers? I thought the charger would have to plug into a receptacle box using a flexible cord.

I can't use anything to charge my lawn mower because it runs on gasoline. :D

e57

a local impliment store uses that type of set up as security. they run extension cord (using one conductor) as a closed loop. break the loop and alarm activates.
So you figure the 'alarm guy' did this? I can picure it in my mind - of the many radio shacks that had the RJ-11 cord for the same purpose back in the day - and some super genious figuring he could make his own 'rough service' type of set-up out of an extention cord run through the handles of mowers..... ;)

Yeah -
Next time you're there - take Big John's advice.... :D

kwired

Electron manager

seems like a more reasonably explanation for the set up.

If these new mowers need charging that often I don't want to buy one assuming we are talking about maintaince of battery of electric starting gasoline engine. Most displays don't and many times are not allowed to have fuel in them so there should be no discharging of the battery anyhow.

iwire

Staff member

I was thinking the exact same thing and the fact they used standard cord ends they can lengthen the loop as far as you want.

You can actually buy Listed fire alarm tamper switches that uses the 'same technology'.

http://www.pottersignal.com/Fire/pdf/5401078-J_PTSC.pdf

Jim W in Tampa

Have fun with them, remove cover and confirm thats what they doing. Then put the whites to white black to black and green to green. Next unplug the cords. Love to see look on there faces when they see it

growler

Have fun with them, remove cover and confirm thats what they doing. Then put the whites to white black to black and green to green. Next unplug the cords. Love to see look on there faces when they see it

Folks this is private property. Look at it, laugh about it all you want, you can even report a hazardous condition ( if that's what you think ) but I suggest you don't touch. You really do need authorization to work on or start to tamper with other people's private property.

Even you insurance only covers your business activity and not pranks.

Jim W in Tampa

Wonder what would happen if some one took a cord and pluged in the male half LOL
KABOOOM
Never smart to use cords and receptacles meant for 120 volt to do other things.

kwired

Electron manager
Wonder what would happen if some one took a cord and pluged in the male half LOL
KABOOOM
Never smart to use cords and receptacles meant for 120 volt to do other things.

I agree with this. Have seen fair amount of cords with 5-15 ends used for other than supplying power. Seen many used for a switch loop on a removable piece of equipment also. Once had seen a cord end on one of these get replaced with a grounded armored type cord connector but the grounding conductor terminal happened to be the hot common for the circuit and customer wondered why getting shocked by the cord end.

Status
Not open for further replies.