Staying signed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly

Also, does this site seem slow or is it just me?

Man, that question sure brought out a lot of hidden frustration.

Actually, the site does sometimes seem slow to me, but...hey...I'm just a visitor here, and if I don't like it, I can always log off.:smile:

I'm not in that big a hurry anyway.

I'm gonna have a beer and ponder the meaning of life.....:)

steve

Smart $

Esteemed Member
hillbilly said:
Actually, the site does sometimes seem slow to me...
Just ran a speed test to this very page...

View attachment 1947

Coming in ahead of FedEx can't be all that bad :wink:

However, I think many of the times this site appears slow is a combination of the site server AND the bandwith of one's internet service. If you have your status bar on (IE), check how long it takes to connect to the website, then how long for reply. This will tell you where the problem is.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Smart $ said:
Just ran a speed test to this very page...

View attachment 1947

Coming in ahead of FedEx can't be all that bad :wink:

However, I think many of the times this site appears slow is a combination of the site server AND the bandwith of one's internet service. If you have your status bar on (IE), check how long it takes to connect to the website, then how long for reply. This will tell you where the problem is.
Nice work but won't that number change when we are running slow?

Edit: English major

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
chris kennedy said:
Nice work but want that number change when we are running slow?
The reported speed is [near] that of the server, not your link up to it. It is a combination of both that determines overall speed.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Smart $ said:
The reported speed is [near] that of the server, not your link up to it. It is a combination of both that determines overall speed.
Thanks Smart. Again thats nice work. I would like to present you with one of these.

hardworkingstiff

Smart $ said:
If you have your status bar on (IE), check how long it takes to connect to the website, then how long for reply. This will tell you where the problem is.

Status bar often goes to 'full' (immediately) and then hangs for a few seconds. Where would you look for the problem?

iwire

Staff member
OK here's where a Mod gets accused of having a 'tude.

As far as I know this forum is just a gift from Mr Holt. He does not even have a link here to his main site. No advertising, no fees.

So when people repeatedly mention the site is slow (like we do not know) or keep bringing up wanting free stickers for being here it kind of hits me wrong.

Lets say the stickers could be produced and mailed for $0.75 which of the 45,000 members should they be sent to?

Or lets just keep it to the 1,800 active members, heck thats only a $1,000 we are asking Mike to part with. How do you other business owners feel about outsiders taking your money.

<rant off>

JMHO.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
chris kennedy said:
Thanks Smart. Again thats nice work. I would like to present you with one of these.
Thanks!!! :wink: (Speaking of those, any word lately on real ones?)

I should state that one cannot totally rely on any one of those automated speed tests. I can get widely varying results from several different ones.

Here's one which I don't put much faith in on the reported speed, but it does analyze the page and offers several recommendations to improve download performance.

WebPageAnalyzer.com

frizbeedog

iwire said:
OK here's where a Mod gets accused of having a 'tude.

As far as I know this forum is just a gift from Mr Holt. He does not even have a link here to his main site. No advertising, no fees.

So when people repeatedly mention the site is slow (like we do not know) or keep bringing up wanting free stickers for being here it kind of hits me wrong.

Lets say the stickers could be produced and mailed for $0.75 which of the 45,000 members should they be sent to?

Or lets just keep it to the 1,800 active members, heck thats only a $1,000 we are asking Mike to part with. How do you other business owners feel about outsiders taking your money.

<rant off>

JMHO.

You're right.

I'm officially accusing you of having a tude. :grin:

Where the heck did that sticker rant come from? :confused:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
hardworkingstiff said:
Status bar often goes to 'full' (immediately) and then hangs for a few seconds. Where would you look for the problem?
I believe you are referring to the animated "loading" bar. Look to the left for the wording, such as connecting to website (your link up), found website and/or waiting for reply (waiting for or connected with server), downloading (could be problems with either or both server and link to it).

iwire

Staff member
frizbeedog said:
Where the heck did that sticker rant come from? :confused:

Well I read most all posts. The issue of the stickers has been brought up more then a few times.

It's not a huge deal, I just felt it was worth reminding people that this place is FREE! No strings attached. :smile: :cool:

How many places on the WWW do you go to that are both free and have no advertising? To me that alone makes this a great place, then add in all the highly knowledgeable people that post here and it's even better. :smile:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
iwire said:
Well I read most all posts. The issue of the stickers has been brought up more then a few times.
I'm willing to pay for stickers, but I can't buy something that isn't made. Due to the content, I can't even have them made myself due to potential copyright infringements.

Perhaps Mike H. would be kind enough to license someone to have them made.

frizbeedog

iwire said:

It's not a huge deal, I just felt it was worth reminding people that this place is FREE! No strings attached. :smile: :cool:

How many places on the WWW do you go to that are both free and have no advertising? To me that alone makes this a great place, then add in all the highly knowledgeable people that post here and it's even better. :smile:

Must be hard to read all those posts...I applaud that.

It just seems to me that when chris posted a link to a sticker, it hit a nerve.

Relax man.

You guys take a lot of abuse sometimes....

Wisdom from the dog.
The pack leader is the leader, because he doesn't get riled.

Status
Not open for further replies.