strapping romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyerinfl

I have an inspector really giving me a hard time about strapping romex. The issue is that I used 1 hole straps, anywhere from an MC strap to 1/2" emt strap to secure some romex running down a narrow channel, no other means is available (staples, CJs, stakits, etc.), doesn't work. Personally I've used one hole straps to secure romex for as long as I can remember and never had a problem, I cited 334.80 where it states specifcally straps in the paragraph and he still rejects it without any fact based code or literature. His solution is to rip down a wall (this is a remodel) just so I can get a different type of strap. I strongly believe I'm right, anyone know why straps would be unacceptable?

nyerinfl

Do you mean 334.30?

Chris

Yes I do.

dcspector - the circumstances don't give me the required room. I have about a 2 inch channel going down the wall, with 1/2" furring strips on the side, and an outside corner of the wall on the other, the CJ won't fit, the stacker would stick out to far, nowhere to staple as it is a masonry wall, so see any problem using the one hole?

Jim W in Tampa

They need be listed. Would think most inspectors would bend a little if its in a tight spot.Not much you can do to force him to take it. Perhaps he will let you use a little foam but still up to him with romex.

nyerinfl

Do you meet the requirements of 300.4(D)?

Chris

300.4 (D) is close, I didn't take an exact measurement, but this was never the issue, he didn't site anything relating to protection of the cable, strictly using the one hole strap, and Chris I also used the zip ties that have the holes in them and strapped them down with that as a supplemental strap as he wasn't budging, but he didn't go for this either.

dcspector

Yes I do.

dcspector - the circumstances don't give me the required room. I have about a 2 inch channel going down the wall, with 1/2" furring strips on the side, and an outside corner of the wall on the other, the CJ won't fit, the stacker would stick out to far, nowhere to staple as it is a masonry wall, so see any problem using the one hole?

Sleeve it in emt.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
His solution is to rip down a wall (this is a remodel) just so I can get a different type of strap.

This is a bit confusing, if the wall is up how can he see the straps? If the wall is up, lose the straps and cite 334.30(B)(1).:-?

nyerinfl

This is a bit confusing, if the wall is up how can he see the straps? If the wall is up, lose the straps and cite 334.30(B)(1).:-?

the wall is up but I had to cut a chase the length of the run due to the circumstances, so the whole thing is exposed. I still don't see a real reason I can't use the straps, or at least no factual literature other than obscure potential listing violations. I wasn't so much looking for a solution, more looking to see if there was a real reason straps aren't allowed for romex. Also isn't 334.30 a little vague when they say 'straps'?

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I wouldn't immediately reach for a one hole to secure romex, but...

Jim said:
They need be listed.

...I don't see where the straps or staples are required to be listed. So long as you can convince the inspector and/or AHJ that it's acceptable, then it's fine, 90.4.

I'd just drive a staple into the stud (without securing a cable with it), and secure the cables to the staple with a zip tie. Done.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any chance of a J-box, either at the top of the wall or on the ceiling, and running MC or EMT to the box? The J-box would reduce the quantity of conductors, I would think.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
They need be listed. Would think most inspectors would bend a little if its in a tight spot.Not much you can do to force him to take it. Perhaps he will let you use a little foam but still up to him with romex.

I have never seen a listed romex staple or pipe strap.

electricmanscott

the wall is up but I had to cut a chase the length of the run due to the circumstances, so the whole thing is exposed. I still don't see a real reason I can't use the straps, or at least no factual literature other than obscure potential listing violations. I wasn't so much looking for a solution, more looking to see if there was a real reason straps aren't allowed for romex. Also isn't 334.30 a little vague when they say 'straps'?

I think I'm with you on this.

resistance

Assuming you are the owner, I don't see why you are going around in circles with the inspector. Call his or her supervisor and explain the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.