stray voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

drg

georgestolz said:
Jinglis, I just looked in on this thread again and realized I had completely hijacked it. I'm sorry about that!

Yeah, I am gald you brought that up George, sorry Jinglis for the disregards also.

Johnhijakerinreform

jinglis

stray voltage

George, that's OK I was enjoying your thoughts on stray voltage in the rural setting. Back years ago when I was more in touch with the farming industry we had things called tingle voltage filters. They were installed to prevent or contain this stray voltage. It was known to have been caused by other farms a fair distance away with bad grounding. This problem would cause milking cows to stop or reduce the amount of milk they would give.

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
George, Your picture looks to be the reason the inspector told me not to drive an electrode at the sub panel next to the lake. He did mention he had no way to account for all the "stray voltage" at the lake. Like you said "barefoot critters", may very well be two footed type critter. Thanks George

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
To be honest, I'm rethinking this concept, myself. Don G recently helped my understanding of this in another thread, and I really wonder if the idea I put forward in this thread is actually very relevant to commonly experienced stray voltage at all.

As Don pointed out, electrodes are very bad at raising the potential in the earth around them - that's a principle that I let slip from the front of my mind as I doodled.

Always question the source, especially when it's me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.