sub panel neutral/ground bonding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterT

I have a 200 amp service. The meter is on one side of the wall and the main panel is on the other side. The main panel has a 200 amp breaker and the neutral and ground bars are connected together via bonding bar. It has 200 amp wire coming out of lugs going across the yard to another 200 amp panel with a main- the neutral and ground are not bonded together. Out of that panel is another sub panel beside it that the neutral and ground are not connected. Is this proper bonding?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

After the main bonding jumper at the service disconnecting means, the grounded (neutral) conductor and the equipment grounding conductors should be kept isolated.

What you have described would be correct.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a 200 amp service. The meter is on one side of the wall and the main panel is on the other side. The main panel has a 200 amp breaker and the neutral and ground bars are connected together via bonding bar. It has 200 amp wire coming out of lugs going across the yard to another 200 amp panel with a main- the neutral and ground are not bonded together. Out of that panel is another sub panel beside it that the neutral and ground are not connected. Is this proper bonding?

How many wires run across the yard, ie, is there a grounding conductor? The neutrals and grounds in the panel across the yard should be isolated as Chris mentioned unless this is an old install and there is no grounding conductor. Ground rods should also be at the panel across the yard as well as at the main panel.

MisterT

RE:

RE:

I thought so, I did a service call to check this out today on a new house that I assume would not pass inspection the way it was. They had the neutral bonded to the enclosure and the neutral bonded to the ground in the first sub panel.
Im surprised this would pass an inspection. I figured I would come here for some input in case I was missing something.
I removed the bonds in the subpanel.
Thanks for your reply!

How many wires run across the yard, ie, is there a grounding conductor? The neutrals and grounds in the panel across the yard should be isolated as Chris mentioned unless this is an old install and there is no grounding conductor. Ground rods should also be at the panel across the yard as well as at the main panel.

Dennis should there be a ground rod at the sub panel even if it was a 4 wire feed?

SG-1

Dennis should there be a ground rod at the sub panel even if it was a 4 wire feed?

250.32(A) says that each structure or building served by one or more feeder or branch circuits requires a grounding electrode system or grounding electrode...

250.32(B) speaks directly to the four wire feed.

Last edited:

SG-1

How does the exception under 250.32 apply?

The exception under 250.32(A) applies if the a single branch circuit including a multi-wire branch circuit supplies the building. The building would be small like a garage, storage building, or well house. There would be no panelboard in the seperate building or structure.

250.32(D)(1),(2),&(3) is also interesting reading on this topic, because the disconnect can be located remote from the seperate building(s) or structure(s).

You just have to watch out for metal piping between the buildings that would require bonding.

Last edited:
Did I say there shouldn't be? I think I stated this....

Sorry, I was wondering if the carrying the grounding conductor from the main panel would eliminate the need for a ground rod. I know now I was confusing carrying a branch circuit vs a feeder. You live in one of the best areas of the country I have ever lived. I played for the Durham Bulls in '93.

wawireguy

That depends what code cycle this work was done under. If it's been inspected in the past I wouldn't sweat it. At the other end of the yard(other structure) if it has had a 3 wire feeder taken to it, 2 line conductors and a neutral, no EGC then the neutral should be bonded to the can and the grounding system at the other structure. This scenario is only for existing structures that were wired under previous editions of the NEC.

2008 NEC requires you to take a EGC to seperate structures. You are also required to install a GEC at seperate structures(ground rods, UFER, water line, just like a service). You keep your neutral and your ground isolated in the feeder panel as this isn't the main disconnect for the service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sorry, I was wondering if the carrying the grounding conductor from the main panel would eliminate the need for a ground rod. I know now I was confusing carrying a branch circuit vs a feeder. You live in one of the best areas of the country I have ever lived. I played for the Durham Bulls in '93.
Why did you move? Sorry I never really followed the Bulls. I did go to a few games tho. Pretty impressive-- you must be a pretty darn good player to get on that team

Status
Not open for further replies.