Summer Dress Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc

Would like your opinion on dress code for summer. Had one employee come to work in shorts and sneakers said it was to hot for long pants and heavy work boots. Never the less we sent him home for the day.
Shorts I may accept but sneakers never.

tshea

1. Employer's responsibility to set and enforce dress code.
2. OSHA requirement that employer provide safe workplace. I say shorts and sneakers does not make a safe workplace.

Jljohnson

Never fly where I work. Safety Manual clearly states long pants, leather boots, and shirts WITH sleeves. all employees sign off that they understand this before their 1st day of work. I'd have sent him home also.

dlhoule

tshea said:
1. Employer's responsibility to set and enforce dress code.
2. OSHA requirement that employer provide safe workplace. I say shorts and sneakers does not make a safe workplace.

I would agree with #1.
On #2: "I say shorts and sneakers does not make a safe workplace." I do not approve of working in sneakers, but depending on nature of work being done, shorts could be okay.:cool:

rcarroll

I had an apprentice get caught with sneakers by OSHA. Cost the shop $300. Some GC's are adamant about adequate dress, even for inspectors. IMO, if the job will allow, shorts are ok. I'm wearing them now.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I figure if shorts are acceptable, no reason sneakers are not.

The whole reason to require leather shoes, long sleeves and long pants is to guard against unforeseen hazards that those precautions might mitigate.

If you can get by with short sleeve shirts and short pants, I don't see what remaining hazard leather shoes would mitigate. Sandals are inherently dangerous and need to be prohibited.

There is no reason you cannot have a company dress code beyond what the minimum requirements are to provide a safe workplace.

By the way, one hazard in hot weather is heat stroke. :)

tshea

dlhoule said:
I would agree with #1.
On #2: "I say shorts and sneakers does not make a safe workplace." I do not approve of working in sneakers, but depending on nature of work being done, shorts could be okay.:cool:

I'm glad you said could, because I for one find shorts unacceptable in a commercial or industrial work area. Now let's look at resi work...
Kneel down at an outlet on a hard floor without knee protection
Crawl through an attic
Walk through some bushes to get to an outside outlet that is not working

I'm sure there are "nice" jobs where shorts could be worn.

fc

The more I think about it I would not accept shorts. We do all our work in commercial buildings that are occupied by many tenants. After looking at this guy's legs I asked myself who wants to see them. Safety for one thing but our men represent our company. They should look the part instead of looking like there going to a ball game.

hockeyoligist2

fc said:
The more I think about it I would not accept shorts. We do all our work in commercial buildings that are occupied by many tenants. After looking at this guy's legs I asked myself who wants to see them. Safety for one thing but our men represent our company. They should look the part instead of looking like there going to a ball game.

Correct, IMO, Your workers represent your company. If they don't look professional then the public and/or customers will be thinking if they dress this way then what kind of work will they do? Also steel toed boots should be a requirement for your own liability, a roll of wire can break toes very easily. A nail goes thru a pair of "sneakers" like melted butter, pants may not stop it but will protect some. And cotton should be required if there is any possibility of a "hot" situation. Synthetics melt to your skin. Provide plenty of liguids to help prevent heat stroke.

And on the lighter side
. After looking at this guy's legs I asked myself who wants to see them.
When he squats down people will probably see something worse!

Just IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

paul32

What are leather boots supposed to protect you from? To me safety shoes have steel toe protection, and if that's not needed, sneakers should be fine.

hockeyoligist2

paul32 said:
What are leather boots supposed to protect you from? To me safety shoes have steel toe protection, and if that's not needed, sneakers should be fine.

Most steel toed boots have a steel shank in the bottom and some leather ones do. so they would be safer for nails etc.

noxx

When I was a kid and spent the summers roping out new construction resi, shorts were the rule, and shirts were optional.

Come to think of it, it's been all downhill clothing-wise since then. Hrmm.

Ryan
Are you kidding us?

As an inspector, I would think it would be hard to get the respect the first time meeting someone and them seeing an inspector in shorts and tennis shoes... that is good for a casual weekend, but not as work attire.

Inspectors lead and set the example, partially by dress code.

Ask Mike Holt how he feels about dress policy.;)

fc

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Pierre C Belarge said:
Ryan
Are you kidding us?

As an inspector, I would think it would be hard to get the respect the first time meeting someone and them seeing an inspector in shorts and tennis shoes... that is good for a casual weekend, but not as work attire.

Inspectors lead and set the example, partially by dress code.

Ask Mike Holt how he feels about dress policy.;)

people just are not as formal as they once were. when i was a kid men went to church in dark suits. last year one sunday i picked up my mom after church. not more then 1 in 50 men had a suit on. most did not have ties. a fair number were in shorts. did not see any tee shirt. this at a fairly conservative church in northern illinois.

i don't know that many people are fooled anymore by how people dress.

zog

OSHA requires that all workers exposed to electrical hazards wear rubber soled shoes, tennies are not rubber soled. We require that our guys wear EH rated shoes on jobs.

ceknight

ryan_618 said:
I wear shorts and tennis shoes every day. :)

I was at the supply house this morning, and joining me at the counter were three other guys getting their orders filled.

3 of us were in shorts and sneakers, the other was in uniform and wearing boots.

My hunch is that 75% of us were self-employed, and the other 25% wasn't. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.