Summer Dress Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

Summer Dress Code

I think too much sleep is lost by management over "policies and procedures."

You're going to let someone do load calcs, spend your money.... and don't have confidence he can dress himself appropriately?

This area has a number of warehouses, where the girls in the office can wear short skirts, short suits, and other "nice" appparall in the air conditioned offices.... but heaven forbid that the sweating snuffies in the non-air conditioned warehouse wear shorts! Huh?

Sure, it can be a regional thing. And a task-related thing. Around here, it is very common for the UPS guy and the Mailman to wear shorts.

As for shoes.... I see guys show up wearing $10 sneakers from time to time. There even might be something to be said for them, when you're climbing around in an attic, or on a roof (briefly). Let that same guy spend a day on a ladder, or standing on a hot roof.... and the better quality shoes come out!

Does appearance count? Sure.... but let's be reasonable here. It's the rare contractor whose business is limited to residential service calls- and those spiffy uniforms are kind of silly when you're digging to China.

I'd have more of an issue with overly baggy trousers- those get hung up too easily, and actually seem to interfere with movement.
I also note that most of those spiffy poly-cotton work shirts some companies provide are of greater hazard (from an arc-flash standpoint) than a common T-shirt.

Sorry for the rant... I just get a bit upset when "safety" is used as a catch-all to justify every prejudice of the moment. If it's your policy to say "no shorts," well, say so- and don't lessen my respect for all safety rules by fobbing off some lame explanation.

iwire

Staff member
renosteinke said:
I just get a bit upset when "safety" is used as a catch-all to justify every prejudice of the moment.

Kind of like when safety is used as the excuse for not liking baggy pants. :D

Sorry I could not resist. :D

H.Auto

No Poo?

No Poo?

rcarroll said:
I had an apprentice get caught with sneakers by OSHA. Cost the shop $300. Some GC's are adamant about adequate dress, even for inspectors. IMO, if the job will allow, shorts are ok. I'm wearing them now.

That must cost UPS a truck load of money each summer ;-)

sparky_magoo

My company doesn't have an official dress code. It is left up to the employees. I have never had a general or customer complain because I was wearing shorts.

Friday, I came down off my ladder with my Hole Hog. The tip of the bit briefly touched my knee. I have two nasty blisters from the resulting burns. I don't care. I work in 100 degree plus heat. I will risk a slight injuy to avoid the hell of working in high heat wearing long pants.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
sparky_magoo said:
My company doesn't have an official dress code. It is left up to the employees. I have never had a general or customer complain because I was wearing shorts.

Friday, I came down off my ladder with my Hole Hog. The tip of the bit briefly touched my knee. I have two nasty blisters from the resulting burns. I don't care. I work in 100 degree plus heat. I will risk a slight injuy to avoid the hell of working in high heat wearing long pants.

I agree. Shorts are fine when it's very hot. I would trade off the potential for a heat related illness over a few scratched knees now and then.

iwire

Staff member
I am very glad the company I work for will not allow shorts, sneakers, tank tops etc.

I must be getting old but IMHO none of those items displays a professional looking crew.

What about cops and firefighters should they where shorts?

(Actually a few of our bicycle cops wear shorts, seems like a good exception)

The military?

I don't see our soldiers in the desert wearing shorts on duty.

At home in my own yard you can find me mowing the lawn in just shorts, if I get a service call the 'uniform' goes on.

To each their own. :)

hillbilly

Most of my work is for two GC's and established residential customers for whom I've done work for years. I don't think that they care what I look like as long as I show up. If I was new and needed more work, I might "spruce up" a bit.
But for now...shorts, sneakers and ball cap.
steve

iwire

Staff member
Why go halfway?

Go all the way wear a Kilt 'commando style'.

WN_style_thumb.jpg

Desk jockeys need not apply. The Workman is the ultimate utility kilt--our flagship model built for long, hard days on the work site building cool stuff that would make any pants-loving wimp cry.

Working Kilts

BTW I am joking around if anyone is offened.....get some thicker skin.:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:
BTW I am joking around if anyone is offened.....get some thicker skin.:)

I don't believe it is possible to offend this bunch. remember they are the ones that had a 108 page thread on whether grounds should be up or down.

realolman

You know I don't think kilts look too bad, and there was some sort of tough Scotch outfit... the Black Watch or something, so I don't think there's anything inherently un- masculine about kilts, but that leather thing is just weird.

Does it have a matching tool purse?
:rolleyes:

Lad I don't know where you been, but I see you won first prize.

dlhoule

What about cops and firefighters should they where shorts?

Hey Bob, have you ever been inside a fire station in the hot summer. I'll bet you will find several of these workers in shorts and a t-shirt. Their regular work apparel is nearby and they put it on when it is needed.

Every circumstance is different and IMO all it takes is a bit of good old fashioned common sense, to determine what is worn at any given time.

iwire

Staff member
dlhoule said:
Hey Bob, have you ever been inside a fire station in the hot summer. I'll bet you will find several of these workers in shorts and a t-shirt. Their regular work apparel is nearby and they put it on when it is needed..

No, I have never seen that, if they are on call I see them uniformed, unless your looking at them while they sleep. :D

Maybe I just live in a very conservitive area. :)

Maybe I am just nuts. :D

iwire

Staff member
petersonra said:
Cops often wear shorts around here during the summer when on bike patrol.

And I mentioned that was a sensible exception.

So do UPS and USPS and Fedex.

Yes, and so do life guards and carnies. :D

Hey wear what you want it's all personal choice...unless you work for the same company I do. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.