Switch leg/switch wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Wiring question. Looking for most practical way this would be wired using MC. So if the feed was brought to the switch what would be most practical? single pole switch 120v.

1. Run (3) separate 12/2 to each light fixture from switch.
2. Run 12/2 from up each light fixture to a common j-box and run MC cable from switch to the common j-box. Don't think that would make sense as you would need to run multiple MC cables from switch or I guess a 12/6 but then box fill might be an issue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 5

Jgentles1

Wiring question. Looking for most practical way this would be wired using MC. So if the feed was brought to the switch what would be most practical? single pole switch 120v.

2. Run 12/2 from up each light fixture to a common j-box and run MC cable from switch to the common j-box. Don't think that would make sense as you would need to run multiple MC cables from switch or I guess a 12/6 but then box fill might be an issue.

Thanks.
12/2 feed to switch box. 1- 12/2 from switch box to appropriate fixture. That puts 4- 12/2 mc cable at switch use 3 gang metal box, should be u der on fill.

kwired

Electron manager

Thanks.
Different situations may make one change their mind. Often simplest to run three 12-2 from the switch location to each luminaire.

If all on one circuit (whether two wire or multiwire circuit) one should only need 12-4 if running a single cable with all three loads and not a 12-6, which will make a difference with conductor fill in boxes.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
It would also depend on the terminations at each light fixture. Are they rated for feed thru?

mstrlucky74

Different situations may make one change their mind. Often simplest to run three 12-2 from the switch location to each luminaire.

If all on one circuit (whether two wire or multiwire circuit) one should only need 12-4 if running a single cable with all three loads and not a 12-6, which will make a difference with conductor fill in boxes.
Thanks. So if one circuit a.12/4 would give you the 3 switch legs and the hot??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks. So if one circuit a.12/4 would give you the 3 switch legs and the hot??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I thought you brought power to switch first, if so then it would be three switched lines and the neutral.

If not bringing power to switch box first, you could need more conductors depending on if multiple circuits, multiwire circuit, plus whether you must have a grounded conductor at the switch to comply with 404.2(C).

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Power to j-box in lid. Drop switch leg to switch location. Send one run to each fixture. Done.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"I see" said the blind man.

I have the same problem with my computer: I's always doing what I tell it to do instead of doing what I want it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.