Switch Rated Appliance Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
For a motor operated appliance, such as a sump pump, does anyone know if, when using a molded case circuit breaker for the disconnect required by article 422, if that breaker must be switch rated SWD? Article 240 simply says breakers must be switch rated or marked SWD when used as switches. There's no qualification though, of what is considered being used as a switch. In theory, every breaker is probably used as a switch a few times in its lifetime. The intent of the code, I think, is to ensure breakers aren't being used to turn a load on and off daily, but I don't think it clarifies that so well. As a result, something like this could be up for interpretation and debate, it would seem.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I've used non-SWD as maintenance disconnects in four different states. I've never had an AHJ have an issue with it. The biggest issue is the requirement that it be visible at the point the maintenance is being done, so I've had to put those locking tabs on a few.

Used as switch means things like lights that are turned on and off each day via throwing the breaker...

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
I've used non-SWD as maintenance disconnects in four different states. I've never had an AHJ have an issue with it. The biggest issue is the requirement that it be visible at the point the maintenance is being done, so I've had to put those locking tabs on a few.

Used as switch means things like lights that are turned on and off each day via throwing the breaker...
Thanks. Would be great to hear anyone else's experience.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed: No SWD rating needed for a disconnect, and it will probably be opened unloaded when it is used.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
SWD ratings have to do with the ability to switch some specific lighting loads, like fluorescent ballasts. Effectively these breakers have ratings similar to standard wall switches. As I recall, they only exist for 15A and 20A single pole devices
There are other ratings, besides SWD, for breakers used to switch lighting loads like HID.

Status
Not open for further replies.