Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apauling

Re: Switched Din. Rm. Outlet?

As an inspector I would ask where is the light in the dining room? the electrician points to an outlet. i say that's the sa circuit, no lights. put light in, will check at finish to make sure not on sa circuit. all wall space receptacles, all receptacles in dining room (except sconces and ceiling lights) spelled out to be on sa circuit(s). period. no exceptions period.

if he wants to convince my superior otherwise, he can sure try. if he wanted to sue for costs for extra work required and time lost. he sure can try. maybe type out this dialogue as a clear example of code compliance.

no fix, no final. go figure.

paul :D :p :cool:

jimwalker

Look at 210.70 a 1 exception 1
it says i dont have to give you a lighting outlet.
It says in LIEU OF LIGHTING OUTLETS that i can give you a switched receptacle.Please look up the word LIEU.It means instead of.So instead of giving you a lighting outlet i am offering a switched SA receptacle.At panel i will label as just that.BREAKER NUMBER 22 small appliance receptacle.Where is my lighting outlet for dining room ? Answer is i dont have to give you one,i gave you what the code said i could in LIEU of a lighting outlet.Inspection is over and it passes :D :D you dont gotta like it but you gotta pass it ;)

dillon3c

You know Inspector Turner sir,

Thats ALMOST,a good argument.I do see what your driving at...
I'll be an Electrical Inspector soon hopefully.Had maybe an encourging phone call today,and if happens...

I'll be pointing from Article 210.70 to 210.52(b)(1)Exception No.(1)

*Just because 210.52(b)(1)Exception,points you to
article 210.70..But not vice-versa,doesn't give the Installer Electrician,a huge gapping whole in the NEC Language..I'd hate it,but they'd be calling my boss(hopefully)....Still a Small Appliance branch circuit,and Code Language still applies...(it's a issue though,I'd have to be over-ruled)

[ April 11, 2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

jimwalker

Any time the EC can cite a clear permissive code then you have little else to fight him with.The code simply did not see this cross over.Wish you luck at getting the job and if your lucky you will never see this situation.

apauling

252.B.1 is all I need. and the requirement for the light, and it's exception doesn't amend 252.B.1.

paul. :cool:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by apauling:
252.B.1 is all I need. and the requirement for the light, and it's exception doesn't amend 252.B.1.
(B)(1)'s exception amends (B)(1) only, and it doesn't have any weight if all recep's in the DR are on SA circuits. It's not being violated. :D

(I won't harp that sconces and ceiling lighting outlets aren't receptacles.)

dillon3c

First time,I have cruised through this whole thirty-two page thread.What I should have done to begain with. Guilty of being distracted.My apologies Inspector Turner..

-->Dillon3c

kturner

Dillon, bet your head must be aching! :)
FWIW, we wouldn't be having this discussion if we were still on the 93 Code. 93 and prior,crystal clear. A change occurs in 96 that muddies the water.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: kturner ]

kturner

Sorry, disregard that last post. There is a change from 93 to 96, but it says essentially the same as current code. It just seemed clearer on first reading.I gotta stop shootin' from the hip like that.

[ April 12, 2005, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: kturner ]

hess

210.52(b)(1)exception no. 1. this is pretty clear, dont under stand the confussion.

davedottcom

Knock, knock, knock...

Oh, Hi George, hey Sam, Larry, Scott...good to see you guys again, come on in...what do you say we crack open a couple cold ones and get this thing rolling again. Beers in the fridge...
Has everyone met Hess?

sooooo...where were we?

:p

Dave

physis

Oh man, I'm still trying to decide if my work day's over yet.

You're sure puttin' an unfair amount of weight on that side of the scale Dave. :D
food-smiley-019.gif

davedottcom

Useless Trivia:

What is the only Post to have more replies than the combined total of both of the following Forums?
"Electrical Instructors" &
"Hazzardous (Classified)Areas"

Answer: This one pretty soon if you guys don't knock it off!

Cliff Claven :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.