Table 110.31

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Stewart

I have a 5kv Metal Enclosed fused switch that is being installed in an existing outdoor substation.

The distance from the front of the equipment enclosure to the existing grounded fence is about 6'. This meets the requirement of 110.34(A) for 4ft working space.

On the other side of my fence is another enclosed area that is only accessible to authorized persons.

What I want to know is do I have to move the fence 4' back to abide by table 110.31?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a 5kv Metal Enclosed fused switch that is being installed in an existing outdoor substation.

The distance from the front of the equipment enclosure to the existing grounded fence is about 6'. This meets the requirement of 110.34(A) for 4ft working space.

On the other side of my fence is another enclosed area that is only accessible to authorized persons.

What I want to know is do I have to move the fence 4' back to abide by table 110.31?

Gosh, I have never worked on anything higher than480v however T. 110.31 is pretty clear that 10 feet is needed where the application does not involve 110.31(D). From what I read you need T. 110.31 but I would not trust me if I were you. :grin: At least I can bump you to the top.

cadpoint

Why don't You keep the Gear on the inside of the fence... ? Since you've already met your requirement.

Is the gear two foot deep?

Volta

Welcom to the forum.

I don't think so. If the equipment is enclosed, and meets the criteria given in 110.31(D), you are not subject to T110.31, IMO.

I think that table / section is for deterring accidental contact with the energized parts, not to provide clear working space. If the energized parts are fully enclosed, I think you now can simply use the 110.34(A) distances.

cadpoint

I'm not a 70E expect by any means, maybe I was instructed outright wrong.

As I learned it; working clearance zones can overlap!

If a working zones over lap then only one of the two (distrubition/services/panels) that do overlapped than only one of the two can be opened at any one time.

D.Stewart

Welcom to the forum.

I don't think so. If the equipment is enclosed, and meets the criteria given in 110.31(D), you are not subject to T110.31, IMO.

I think that table / section is for deterring accidental contact with the energized parts, not to provide clear working space. If the energized parts are fully enclosed, I think you now can simply use the 110.34(A) distances.

Thanks Everyone!

Volta, that's sort of what my thinking is. The equipment is fully enclosed with no exposed parts. When the bay doors are opened there's at least 6 feet to the fence from the energized parts, which meets working clearance requirements and there is no public access on the other side of the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.