Tagged for multiwire branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't think of a load center where if you handle tie the single pole breakers or install a double you will feed off the same phase, therefore the code revision requiring handle ties on MWBC resolves this problem.

Generally true, there are instances where you have just a two wire (120 only) supply in which case you can not utilize a true multiwire branch circuit, but some may try anyway because they don't fully understand a MWBC. Also you could install a three pole breaker in a single phase panel and have two lines the same "phase", but those that don't understand are also likely to balk at the cost of a three pole breaker and will not purchase one, but maybe just happen to have one on hand for some reason.

As I read this you have 2 neutrals on the receptacle for the refrigerator. Those neutrals are the one going to the small appliance branch circuit as well as the pigtail from the multiwire branch circuit and the microwave.

As I see it that is compliant although I would have pig tailed all the neutrals. How is this any different then any two wire circuit where the neutrals are connected thru the receptacle?

I agree with the OP.

This section below does not come into play because there isn't a multiwire branch circuit on the duplex.

I just read some of these posts (not all). I think the intent of code was met, however, I do not think its totally legal. Can you imagine a person using a similar set up in a patients room in a hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.