taking pictures in class

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
i recently ( june) took a class, weekend, to the tune of 395.00 for two days, and was not allowd to remove any paper documents provided us in the class. instructor reviewed our notes, and if they were "too close to what the paper had on it" they were confiscated. i was not impressed. some bs about copywritten material. appeared more like parania to me. i would not recommend these classes to anyone. you don't get enough for your money. someones a little too full of themselves

Wow what jerks. If class was prepaid you are out of luck, if I went and paid at arrival, I would seriously consider a stop payment on that check. Gives the opportunity to confront them again as they likely will be contacting you to attempt to collect payment and I can let it be known just how I feel about the situation outside the classroom, and I would encourage others attending to do the same. They are selling education not goods. I can assure them I will not be taking any more classes from them, and neither will any of my associates. Copies of copyrighted material maybe is understandable but to go through any notes I took myself is way out of line.

Of course it is all about money. Why would IAEI or Mike Holt or Tom Henry allow you to duplicate their product and give it out as a free product?

Taking some pictures of the slides may be OK but taking pictures of the whole class, i dont think it is legal according to copyright laws.

Just how many pictures can be taken before the line is crossed?

How many images from any of these sources do we find on sites like this one? How many of them are printed, linked to, etc. and passes on to others by users of the sites.

Illegal? maybe.

Creators of those images have their name right on them and get free advertising from the distribution of their material also.

It is probably even more of an illegal act to distribute it in any way without crediting them with being the source of the information.

mivey

i recently ( june) took a class, weekend, to the tune of 395.00 for two days, and was not allowd to remove any paper documents provided us in the class. instructor reviewed our notes, and if they were "too close to what the paper had on it" they were confiscated. i was not impressed. some bs about copywritten material. appeared more like parania to me. i would not recommend these classes to anyone. you don't get enough for your money. someones a little too full of themselves
With proprietary, confidential information that might be justifiable. However, they should not be sharing sensitive information without a confidentiality agreement. Generalized numbers and info should be used in an open setting.

Sounds like the instructor was a goofball. You can't take knowledge to the grave. What good does it do to learn if you don't pass the knowledge along? Make a contribution to society and make life a little easier for the next guy.

kwired

Electron manager
With proprietary, confidential information that might be justifiable. However, they should not be sharing sensitive information without a confidentiality agreement. Generalized numbers and info should be used in an open setting.

Sounds like the instructor was a goofball. You can't take knowledge to the grave. What good does it do to learn if you don't pass the knowledge along? Make a contribution to society and make life a little easier for the next guy.

if you want to copy ask permission from mike holt.

That is just it, people like Mike Holt have pretty much dedicated their lives to teaching things. They have created drawings, documents, and such used to help do that. Yes they do need to make a living. It is one thing to plagiarize, and another to use someone else's materials and give them credit. Simply having their name at the bottom of the page accomplishes this.

Use of someone else's materials and commercially distributing it does start to push the copyright laws. For an educational institution though, they may have purchased the material and rights to copy and distribute that information though, it can happen, they probably paid more than the single user purchasing something for their own use.

Status
Not open for further replies.