Tamper Resistant/Arc Fault and GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Hello. I have an engineer that rejected a submittal stating that all patient accessible area receptacles must be tamper resistant/arc fault/gfci.

1. This was not shown on drawings. Is this NEC code?
2. Can you buy a receptacle with all three features?

Thanks.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
If it's assisted living or a child care facility, they would need tamper resistant but if it's in a hospital patient room, I don't see where NEC requires tamper resistant and they aren't required to be GFCI protected even within 6 feet of a sink in a patient room. If it's an exam room and within 6 feet of a sink it would need to be GFCI protected. I think the reasoning for not having GFCI protected receptacles in the patient rooms is probably that they don't want equipment serving a patient shutting off if something trips the GFCI.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What is the classification of the building (hospital;, nursing home, limited care facility) ??
What year Code is applicable ??
(There were some 2020 Code changes which could effect how you address the issue)

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it's assisted living or a child care facility, they would need tamper resistant but if it's in a hospital patient room, I don't see where NEC requires tamper resistant and they aren't required to be GFCI protected even within 6 feet of a sink in a patient room. If it's an exam room and within 6 feet of a sink it would need to be GFCI protected. I think the reasoning for not having GFCI protected receptacles in the patient rooms is probably that they don't want equipment serving a patient shutting off if something trips the GFCI.
What about the arch fault request? They don't make a receptacle that provides arc fault protection? That would have to be supplied via breaker?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Only thing I came across.

A. All Work shall comply with OSHA (including site-specific safety plans required
on all projects), and the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building
Code (the "Uniform Code"), which includes the publications incorporated by
reference in Title 19 NYCRR Part 1219 through 1228:
1. 2020 Building Code of New York State (the “Building Code”)
2. 2020 Plumbing Code of New York State (the “Plumbing Code”)
3. 2020 Mechanical Code of New York State (the “Mechanical Code”)
4. 2020 Fuel Gas Code of New York State (the “Fuel Gas Code”)
5. 2020 Fire Code of New York State (the “Fire Code”)
6. 2020 Existing Building Code of New York State (the “Existing Building
Code”)
7. All other standards referenced in 19 NYCRR Parts 1219 through 1228.

Contractor and Subcontractor Qualifications: The Contractor and/or all electrical
subcontractors must be a “Master Electrician Business” as defined in Title 27 of
the New York City Administrative Code section of the New York City Electric
Code, with current registration as an ‘Electrical Firm’ with the New York City
Department of Buildings.
1. The firm must employ a holder of an active New York City Master
Electrician License, registered with the New York City Department of
Buildings as the firm’s “Responsible Representative”, who must supervise
all of firm’s physical work during course of the project.
2. The firm must submit the New York City Electrical Firm Registration
Number and the firm’s Responsible Representative’s current active New
York City Master Electrician License Number to the Director’s
Representative for approval.
F. Fire Codes: Contractor shall meet the follo

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
What about the arch fault request? They don't make a receptacle that provides arc fault protection? That would have to be supplied via breaker?
New in 2020 code says receptacles in "patient sleeping rooms in nursing homes and limited-care facilities" shall be arc fault protected.

I just noticed the above post stating that it was a psychiatric facility. I think you may need arc fault/ground fault and tamper resistant in psychiatric facilities.

Last edited:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
AFCI outlets been around for residential for over 10 years, maybe not hospital grade.

Leviton AGTR is the dual function AFCI/GFCI outlet I've installed since the 2014 NEC was adopted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have an engineer that rejected a submittal stating that all patient accessible area receptacles must be tamper resistant/arc fault/gfci.
Was the rejection because this was part of the spec or did they specifically so it was a code requirement? NYC is under the 2008 NEC with local amendments I don't believe that this is a code requirement. The words arc fault do not appear in the NYC local amendments.

kwired

Electron manager
Was the rejection because this was part of the spec or did they specifically so it was a code requirement? NYC is under the 2008 NEC with local amendments I don't believe that this is a code requirement. The words arc fault do not appear in the NYC local amendments.
I'd have to double check but from memory 2008 was when they added most the rest of the house and not just bedrooms, kitchens did not yet require AFCI's. And I don't think they had expanded the requirements to beyond dwelling units at that time either.

GFCI likely not a general requirement even in 2020 for OP's application unless a specific receptacle location involves sinks, bathrooms, kitchen counters, etc. to trigger GFCI requirements.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It’s definitely not in the spec so I am assuming before I write an RFI they’re gonna come back and say it’s an NEC requirement. Wonder if because it’s a state agency things may be different following particular code cycle.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
This is a psychiatric facility
I have a friend which does servicing to a psychiatric ward and that facility is put through the ringer by state regulation, basing their inspections on anything and everything a patient can use to harm themselves or worse. The specs certainly can supercede the necessary code guidelines.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I have a friend which does servicing to a psychiatric ward and that facility is put through the ringer by state regulation, basing their inspections on anything and everything a patient can use to harm themselves or worse. The specs certainly can supercede the necessary code guidelines.
I hear you but I’d think the code would supersede spec.

Anyway, my spec(or drawings) does not indicate anything about using afci at all but on the returned/rejected submittal they said to use them. I’m guessing(before I inquire about the rejection) they are going to cite NEC code.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Are the standard receptacle installed already? If not just put in the breakers needed after sending the RFI and getting told theyl are needed and if there are nuisance trips show that it's not required by code and get a change order to put normal breakers in and you'll have the next few years resi work arcfaults and some more pay.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Are the standard receptacle installed already? If not just put in the breakers needed after sending the RFI and getting told theyl are needed and if there are nuisance trips show that it's not required by code and get a change order to put normal breakers in and you'll have the next few years resi work arcfaults and some more pay.
No receptacles are not in.

darekelec

I would ask the contractor to use tamper resistant receptacles either way.
Afci not required by the nec and nyc amendments imho.
Nor gfci protection.
It’s common in nyc for electrical contractors not to be aware of 517.13 A and B so I recommend you follow up on this one.

Attachments

• B72D3E29-E624-4D48-BC2E-723C4CB19611.png
    B72D3E29-E624-4D48-BC2E-723C4CB19611.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14

retirede

I'd have to double check but from memory 2008 was when they added most the rest of the house and not just bedrooms, kitchens did not yet require AFCI's. And I don't think they had expanded the requirements to beyond dwelling units at that time either.

GFCI likely not a general requirement even in 2020 for OP's application unless a specific receptacle location involves sinks, bathrooms, kitchen counters, etc. to trigger GFCI requirements.

I think the expansion was in the 2011. We’re still on the 08 and only bedrooms get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.