Tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Does every color of electrical tape made have a purpose to re-identify a wire as something else? I mean...black can re-identify what as hot, green can identify something as ground...but what about the other colors? Blue, red, organge, etc...

apauling

Re: Tape?

i don't think anyone will tell you what they do with organge tape. colors have a distinct protocol in 3 phase. colors mostly used in pipe work, multiple circuits.

otherwise, pick a color for your hand tools.

paul

physis

There are certainly protocols. I personally think there ought to be more required conformance. Color coding is a good meathod and is easy to impliment.

It seems odd to me with all the rules we live under, color coding is mostly religated to the "Willie Nillie" department.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The rules for reidentifying electrical conductors are in:
Art 200

For example you can reidentify a white as black in a cable, but never black to white in a raceway for sizes 6 AWG and smaller. The NEC assumes you will do a professional & code compliant installation and use the correct color. Sizes 8 and 6 are reidentified commonly in the field which is a violation.

aelectricalman

I just give the orange tape to the kids, and use the purple to hold my rolls of wire together. Improvise!! They have a blast with it!! :cool: Hey, anyone got a good wire stretcher or level bubbles!

physis

How many times have any of you guys been in a single phase box where there were no NM/3's but both legs were present. And of those times, by percentage, how often were red conductors or red tape used?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
How many times have any of you guys been in a single phase box where there were no NM/3's but both legs were present. And of those times, by percentage, how often were red conductors or red tape used?
Say what? :confused:

physis

Is it that bad Bob?

The question is:

When both legs are present in a residential box.

Excluding 3 conductor NM (as in multiwire ciruits).

How often are the opposing phases identified?

:)

iwire

Staff member

It's not bad I just did not understand the question. :)

Now who says they have to be identified? ;)

[ December 22, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

peter d

Sam,

You mean like when you use a 2 wire cable on a 240 volt circuit, and the white is not reidentified?

I can count on one hand the number of reidentified condutors I have seen. Now it's a code violation not to do so. Even with a rule in the book, I still don't see anyone taking it seriously.

iwire

Staff member

OK I understand more now that I see Peters post.

For a 240 circuit from a 2 wire NM you can mark the white black it does not have to be red.

But I agree with Peter not to often.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Nobody, but see, that's my point!

:)

This would be handy info.
Handy, but not a safety issue.

Please no more code sections that do not fit the purpose of the NEC. :p

90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.

(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Status
Not open for further replies.