Taped Wire Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD84

Spiral Hats!

Spiral Hats!

I installed this chandelier from china the other day. It came with 3 of these spiral hats. I only wish I could get some more....
So much better than wire nuts:D
2nuonzt.jpg

JFletcher

So reading through this I can say I've taped wire nuts as well just cause it was what I was taught. Now seems kinda stupid if they're put on right.
So another question... how do you guys feel about wago push on connectors?? We have them in stock but I've never used them before. They seem like a fast and easy way for multiple wire connections just wondering about reliability or any horror stories lurking about.

When your hands are sweaty, trying to push bare copper EGCs into them is aggravating. I'm sure in 20-30 years they'll be as many horror stories (undeserved or not) as backstabbed receptacles. If you're gonna use these, do the next sparkie a favor and use at least one more port than you need. If you dont, Murphy's Law dictates YOU will be the next sparkie and have to deal with it.

The lever lock wagos, otoh, look more promising and sturdier to me than the push in types. They are more money, but either one would let you terminate all the wiring in the field and just pigtail receptacles/switches in the shop, pop 'em in, screw em down, and stick on the wallplate - that has to save time over putting hooks on wires over screws, especially with 12ga wire. I'd rather do as much work in the shop with AC than in the field as possible.

I installed this chandelier from china the other day. It came with 3 of these spiral hats. I only wish I could get some more....
So much better than wire nuts:D
2nuonzt.jpg

LMAO! I love the terms for the hot and neutral as well!

Aleman

I recently found a bad wire nut connection but that's because a lamer used red nuts on a pair of #14 stranded wires. Fell right off and arced in the peckerhead.
Otherwise I sometimes tape but always leave a tag if I do.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
I recently found a bad wire nut connection but that's because a lamer used red nuts on a pair of #14 stranded wires. Fell right off and arced in the peckerhead.
Otherwise I sometimes tape but always leave a tag if I do.

Whats the definition of "lamer" and "peckerhead"? These must be west coast terms, never heard of them in reference to electrical work.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Peckerhead = the terminal housing of a motor. An ancient term.
Lamer = someone who is "lame" in the sense of not good.
Possibly the same derivation that leads to the phrase "that was a lame excuse".
A much more modern usage.

mobile

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What about re-using wire nuts? I find that the spring gets stretched out making them unreliable. I know some guys who are too cheap to throw them away and have containers of used ones that they use as new.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
What about re-using wire nuts? I find that the spring gets stretched out making them unreliable. I know some guys who are too cheap to throw them away and have containers of used ones that they use as new.

-Hal
Which is probably what happened with the mentioned red connector that failed on a pair of 14's. A new connector should have worked on two #14's.

JFletcher

-Hal

If they arent corroded, loose (internally), distorted/warped/melted, have glue on them from tape, or have a small piece of broken wire in the tip, I'll reuse them, but checking for all that different kind of damage usually isnt worth it to me. If I can use a smaller wire nut, I'll usually use that especially if box fill is tight.

Besoeker

If they arent corroded, loose (internally), distorted/warped/melted, have glue on them from tape, or have a small piece of broken wire in the tip, I'll reuse them, but checking for all that different kind of damage usually isnt worth it to me. If I can use a smaller wire nut, I'll usually use that especially if box fill is tight.
But, given that they are as cheap as chips, (to quote David Dickenson) why would you bother?

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Peckerhead = the terminal housing of a motor. An ancient term.
Lamer = someone who is "lame" in the sense of not good.
Possibly the same derivation that leads to the phrase "that was a lame excuse".
A much more modern usage.

mobile

:thumbsup: Thanks.

Never heard of peckerhead, outside of the insult. That's what I was guessing on lamer.

user 100

-Hal

Which is probably what happened with the mentioned red connector that failed on a pair of 14's. A new connector should have worked on two #14's.

Even stranded? Proper prep required?

mobile

A new red should have worked fine for that particular combo. Whether it was a good idea to use it in the peckerhead is open to interpretation.

IMO, when working with stranded its a good idea to pretwist the strands of each wire counterclockwise. Then pretwist your wires together, clockwise, and cap. When you do it that way, it seems the joint behaves more like solid and is less likely to spring apart.

But, given that they are as cheap as chips, (to quote David Dickenson) why would you bother?

Sometimes you need "just one more", but don't feel like going and getting a new one.:D

I know "1900" is a 4" square box but I've never heard it called that in my area, ever.

:thumbsup:-Had wondered about that myself.

kwired

Electron manager

When you need to climb 100 feet down on some structure, or are in the furthest corner of some crawlspace and don't want to make your way all the way to the truck, supply room, etc just for one wire connector when you have one with you that tht is used but will work....

Status
Not open for further replies.