Temporary Emergency Generator Installations

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I do what I gotta do to keep the lights for the duration of an emergency outage, but for a permanent installation I'd go back and make it legit.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The NEC does not cover Temporary Emergency Generators. We use various connection points on a building or structure. The neutral is not switched and a transfer switch is not used.
Thoughts about if a grounding electrode is needed?
It sounds like the NEC would call these optional standby systems not 'emergency' or backup units. Again a common language with multiple meanings per word gets us into trouble.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the NEC would call these optional standby systems not 'emergency' or backup units. Again a common language with multiple meanings per word gets us into trouble.
Agree. FEMA terminology is not code terminology. But being out installing generators those without power understand emergency generator

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The only way I could see the NEC not applying if your in a actual 'state of emergency' declared by the governor, this would be a very short duration rig job meant for just a few weeks tops. If your going around installing generators for disaster preparation the the NEC rules apply.

Lara jain

Occupation
Electrician
As an electrician, I understand your concern regarding the installation of Temporary Emergency Generators during hurricane/typhoon seasons. While these installations may not be covered by the NEC, they are addressed by OSHA guidelines. Regarding FEMA generators, the need for a ground rod depends on specific circumstances and whether they are considered a separately derived system. To ensure accurate guidance, I recommend consulting with a qualified electrician who can assess your installation and provide personalized advice based on OSHA requirements and industry best practices.

Todd0x1

I'm going to say yes. OSHA publishes a document titled" Grounding Requirements for Portable Generators" Relevant portion posted below. I had an interesting interaction with an inspector once where I was not required to place a ground rod due to all cord and plug connected load. I pointed out the rules and her reply was that the instructions on the side of the generator say to connect a ground rod so its required. Easier to drive a rod than take that any further.

Under the following conditions, OSHA
directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the
frame of a portable generator need not be
grounded (connected to earth) and that the
frame may serve as the ground (in place of
the earth):
The generator supplies only equipment
mounted on the generator and/or cord-
and plug-connected equipment through
receptacles mounted on the generator
§ 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and
• The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of
equipment (such as the fuel tank, the inter-
nal combustion engine, and the generator’s
housing) are bonded to the generator
frame, and the equipment grounding con-
ductor terminals (of the power receptacles
that are a part of [mounted on] the genera-
tor) are bonded to the generator frame,
§ 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).
Thus, rather than connect to a grounding
electrode system, such as a driven ground
rod, the generator’s frame replaces the
grounding electrode.

If these conditions do not exist, then a
grounding electrode, such as a ground rod,
is required.

If the portable generator is providing electric
power to a structure by connection via a
transfer switch to a structure (home, office,
shop, trailer, or similar) it must be connected
to a grounding electrode system, such as a
driven ground rod.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Per the OP he does not have an SDS so his generator is connected to the building grounding electrode system.
OP states that there is no ECG. If the neutral is bonded to ground at the generator as OP states, then the neutral needs to be switched.

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
If the portable generator is providing electric
power to a structure by connection via a
transfer switch to a structure (home, office,
shop, trailer, or similar) it must be connected
to a grounding electrode system, such as a
driven ground rod.
The travel trailer crowd goes thru this, you will see someone out pounding a 3 ft stake in the ground. Whats it for,,, so I dont get shocked,, I say what is it you are trying to do,,, I am pounding a rod,,, ha But if premise connected is simply to reduce potential difference between the power and the ground one is standing on, mostly from leakage, (with premise not always from same service, may be the same system tranny etc) same thing is may do in regular situation. I can see a difference in tire mounted or steel skid mounted, its already on the same ground.
Sall genset or welder in a pickup, there is no other ground connection, rod wouldnt do a thing.

Last edited:

Sberry

Occupation
farmer electrician
Take the RV scenario, with a genset no potential difference between the trailer and the ground, connect it to premise power and there may be a possibility?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
where does it say in the code that temporary generator installations are exempt from the code?
The NEC only applies to 'installations'. To the extent 'temporary' means 'not installed', the NEC may not apply. For example in my opinion the NEC does not apply to cord and plug connected portable generators.

That said, it seems like the OP is doing work which, however temporary it may be, rises to the level of installation, in the sense that it goes beyond just moving things around and plugging them in.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The NEC only applies to 'installations'. To the extent 'temporary' means 'not installed', the NEC may not apply. For example in my opinion the NEC does not apply to cord and plug connected portable generators.
Maybe not the genset itself (governed by multiple UL standards), but how it connects into the permanent structure wiring NEC does apply. It also applies to the NG bonding at the Genset related to interconnection with existing buildings electrical system. In most instances, NG bonding not acceptable for "portable" generators connected into a building system (SDS exception separate rules).
That said, it seems like the OP is doing work which, however temporary it may be, rises to the level of installation, in the sense that it goes beyond just moving things around and plugging them in.
Only go around is that it never gets connected into the existing building, multiple extension cords to individual corded appliances.

Generally grounding accomplished via an EGC not a GEC.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The NEC does not cover Temporary Emergency Generators. We use various connection points on a building or structure. The neutral is not switched and a transfer switch is not used.
Thoughts about if a grounding electrode is needed?
Look at 700.3(F) Temporary Source of Power for Maintenance or Repair of the Alternate Source of Power.
While, generally these generator setups do not fall into the category of "Emergency Generators", more likely "Optional standby generators", but using your wording 700.3(F) would apply.

Our generators are bonded and so are the buildings main disconnects, so if we have a neutral we don't install a EGC for obvious reasons. These installations are not code compliant.
Then I see the only compliant means would be individual appliances connected via a cord, not tying into the building electrical system, OR treat as an SDS and all its requirements.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Ok so I read back and apparently the gensets are NG bonded, so EGC is a parallel path for neutral currents. I guess you don't want to drive a ground rod because these things are sitting on pavement or concrete?

jaggedben

Occupation
Maybe not the genset itself (governed by multiple UL standards), but how it connects into the permanent structure wiring NEC does apply. ...
Right but that arguably can't include requiring a grounding electrode for a temporarily positioned portable cord and plug connected generator. Nor does the NEC attempt to require this anywhere, to my knowledge.

jaggedben

Occupation
Ok so I read back and apparently the gensets are NG bonded, so EGC is a parallel path for neutral currents. I guess you don't want to drive a ground rod because these things are sitting on pavement or concrete?

He said they don't install an EGC because the neutral is bonded at generator. Post #20.

No wire, no parallel path.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
He said they don't install an EGC because the neutral is bonded at generator. Post #20.

No wire, no parallel path.
I don't know these specific gensets, but some of the larger ones I've worked with lifting the N-G bond was no big deal

I guess these things are just unsafe. For the nominal fee of $1 I would be happy to send a truck or trucks down to pick them up so they can be properly disposed of