Temporary MV Cable Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

philly

Does anyone have any recommendations for a type of cable to use for a temporary (6 months) installation? On LV installation I've always seen S.O. cable used so I was curious if there was a similar S.O. equivalent for MV cable? System is a 4.16kV system.

The cable will only be used for emergency purposes (connecting emergency generators) but if it is put into use it must carry approx. 2000A. I'm looking for the best economical solution for a temporary cable since it will only be used for a short duration of time.

Temporary cable will be run in free air

MAC702

The NEC defines three types of "temporary:" during construction, 90 days, and emergencies/tests [590.3]

Services must be installed as if permanent [590.4]. Don't know enough to know what this counts as for you.

Ingenieur

you are talking about 15 MW of power
imo this sounds like a very complex project
is there an engineer involved?

you might look at mining duty cable
or doing your permanent install upfront

philly

Thanks for the replies.

We've decided to treat this as a permanent installation and run MV-105 cable in cable tray.

Does a cable tray require a cover for MV cable?

publicgood

Thanks for the replies.

We've decided to treat this as a permanent installation and run MV-105 cable in cable tray.

Does a cable tray require a cover for MV cable?

Tray rating for cable, yes. Tray cover, no. In some cases you might consider fire wrapping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.