Tesla Car Charger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
At least around here, and I suspect many other places, there were lines at the gas stations that had fuel back in the 70s. It would have been nice to just "refuel" at home.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
At least around here, and I suspect many other places, there were lines at the gas stations that had fuel back in the 70s. It would have been nice to just "refuel" at home.
hmmm, well, right after you wait your turn to get the eV power needed to refuel it in your garage.

Just wait. Cheap gasoline is a fleeting condition.
not exactly, its a gouging practice. you think for 1sec that the owners of oil will sit back and watch their profits dwindle because they still wish to gouge? nope, they simply drop their price, and at the rate EV's are being developed (painfully slow compared to other technologies/markets) the oil folks can easily keep pace with EV's, simply by lowering oil prices to keep oil looking more favorable. the less use of oil means the longer it will be around. and when i say "EV" i dont just mean the vehicle, i mean the whole thing (power plants, grid, distribution, stations, etc etc). and the night time issue still lingers because just as oil will be gone so will uranium, coal, nat gas, etc. EV vehicles are currently not viable until the whole thing is ready. with the big push from around the world to cut back on natural resource use, EV's will be novelty for decades.

someone should print this post, capsule it for your grand kids, and in say 70yrs from now let them open it to see if my view on things has changed at all, then have them bury it for another 70, so on and so on, then maybe 200-500 yrs from now the person reading can say "completely wrong" or "hmmm, spot on". i am ok with either.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
not exactly, its a gouging practice.
What I mean is, these low oil prices will not be around forever. It won't be all that long before gas is nearing 4 bucks a gallon again. Maybe not in the next few months (probably not), but in the long run these low prices cannot last.

It does look to me sometimes, though, that the countries in the Middle East are trying to do to us something similar to what we did to the Soviet Union. We bankrupted the Russkies by dumping so much money into the arms race that they blew up their economic system trying to keep up. Oil = Money.

BTW, electricity production in the US has virtually nothing to do with oil.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
BTW, electricity production in the US has virtually nothing to do with oil.

?? i dont follow. oil not used to make eV power? they are in fact linked, no oil means much more electric power is needed.

ggunn

Occupation
?? i dont follow. oil not used to make eV power? they are in fact linked, no oil means much more electric power is needed.
Virtually no electrical power in the US is produced from oil. Pretty much only in Hawaii.

ggunn

Occupation
In the 70s didnt coned make power from oil?
No se, but even if they did they probably don't any more, and even if they still do it represents a very small percentage of the overall electrical energy picture for the US.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
No se, but even if they did they probably don't any more, and even if they still do it represents a very small percentage of the overall electrical energy picture for the US.

I read that oil (diesel fuel) made up for 1% of the US total, most being in Hawaii and Alaska.

I wonder if they count using diesel generators on construction sites in the US total? Or people using small generators at campsites? What about things like carnivals?

They probably wouldn't add much to the figure, I am just curious if they are counted in that 1%?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I read that oil (diesel fuel) made up for 1% of the US total, most being in Hawaii and Alaska.

I wonder if they count using diesel generators on construction sites in the US total? Or people using small generators at campsites? What about things like carnivals?

They probably wouldn't add much to the figure, I am just curious if they are counted in that 1%?

If you're looking at EIA figures, I believe they only capture grid connected stationary sources, so all three of your examples would be a "no".

ggunn

Occupation

Either way, I believe that 1% conforms with "virtually none" as it pertains to how much influence the price of oil exerts on the price of electricity.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
In the 70s didnt coned make power from oil?

the power plants in both huntington beach, and long beach both have
tank farms next to them, from way back when. i think some of them are still used
for storage of crude for the nearby refineries.

all are natural gas fired now. long beach, which has several units, has iirc a 72"
main at a couple hundred psi....

Status
Not open for further replies.