Tesla Car Charger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So this [picture of wall mounted EVSE with J1772 output connector] Is the same as this [picture of Tesla portable EVSE with Tesla-proprietary output connector].
Yep, other than the choice of the output connector. That's just a mechanical difference, the electrical standard of the connection is the same. Tesla sells a mechanical adapter that will let you plug a J1772 connector into a Tesla.

Cheers, Wayne

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I have had mixed results from CFLs but all the LEDs I have installed are doing great. I have had CFLs fail after only a year or two; my oldest LED is about six years old and it shows no signs of deterioration.

My experience w/ CFLs is that they are greatly influenced by temperature. Back around the time they first came out, I purchased a 4 plex w/ 4 (cheap, residential grade) outside lights on a photocell. All dead bulbs. Replaced bulbs w/ incandescent, 4 months later, all dead. Lets see, 1000 hour expected life, at 12 hours average per day, yep. Put in CFLs, and they lasted a number of years. Looking forward to LEDs when the CFLs I have now die.

A side note, at the time, there was no other load on the meter. It never turned. After several years, called PG&E and talked to them, they said they had tested it, and it worked fine.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yep, other than the choice of the output connector. That's just a mechanical difference, the electrical standard of the connection is the same. Tesla sells a mechanical adapter that will let you plug a J1772 connector into a Tesla.

Cheers, Wayne

The Tesla cord just plugs into a 50 amp Range outlet

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What car do you drive that compares in power to a Tesla that gets 1,000 miles to a fill up?

There it is... I can get 1,000 miles from my wife's Prius, but it's not the same thing.

I've driven a Tesla Model S with the "Insane Mode" mod.

O... M... G... :jawdrop:

I've driven a Lotus Elite, a DeTomasso Mangusta and several Ferrari's. NONE of them compare to the acceleration of a Tesla Model S with Insane Mode. And Tesla now has "Ludicrous Mode" that will go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds... I haven't been in one of those. Yet...

If I can ever afford one, I'm buying it. Who the heck cares that it takes over night to charge? I'm asleep, recharging myself.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
No where does the Constitution permit Congress to regulate light bulbs. Interest groups in cahoots with the EPA have
finessed the Commerce Clause to gin up a fig leaf of justification. The federal powers are pretty clearly and narrowly
enumerated, all other powers being reserved to the people and the states.:

funny thing is, a lot of the energy conservation and "green" legislation
was driven by the patriot act, of all things. dependance on foreign oil
was deemed a threat to the security of the united states, and reducing
that dependance was seen as a good thing, by any means available.

so banning 100 watt light bulbs is the patriotic thing to do. :huh:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
funny thing is, a lot of the energy conservation and "green" legislation
was driven by the patriot act, of all things. dependance on foreign oil
was deemed a threat to the security of the united states, and reducing
that dependance was seen as a good thing, by any means available.

so banning 100 watt light bulbs is the patriotic thing to do. :huh:
That's puzzling; electrical energy in the US is virtually independent of "foreign oil".

ggunn

Occupation
There it is... I can get 1,000 miles from my wife's Prius, but it's not the same thing.

I've driven a Lotus Elite, a DeTomasso Mangusta and several Ferrari's. NONE of them compare to the acceleration of a Tesla Model S with Insane Mode. And Tesla now has "Ludicrous Mode" that will go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds... I haven't been in one of those. Yet...

If I can ever afford one, I'm buying it. Who the heck cares that it takes over night to charge? I'm asleep, recharging myself.
When the Tesla Roadster first came out a reporter from NPR recorded an interview from the passenger seat with one of Tesla's engineers driving. At one point the journalist asked "So, what's the maximum accelerati... gurgle... gurgle... gasp..." It was pretty funny.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When the Tesla Roadster first came out a reporter from NPR recorded an interview from the passenger seat with one of Tesla's engineers driving. At one point the journalist asked "So, what's the maximum accelerati... gurgle... gurgle... gasp..." It was pretty funny.

Jamie from Mythbusters has done some work with electric vehicles. He managed to snap an axle trying for max accel one time. That is one thing EV's have hands down. When you punch the button, it's all about how strong the axle is, how much tire sticktion you have, the current capacity of the bus, and the discharge curve on the battery. You could probably launch a Honda Civic like a scalded cat if you had a mind to.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Just because they haven't yet doesn't mean they never will. With gasoline trending toward $1/gal it won't happen for a while, and the emerging tech behind them obviously needs more development, but if you take the long view it's virtually inevitable.

every time a EV hits the road the oil suppliers smile, it just means it will take that much longer for oil to be depleted.

even at $1/gal (at the pump!) the oil companies are still making billions. they can price EV's out of the market in a split second. the only way EV's can work is either 1) govt bans oil (hah, lol), or 2) oil runs dry (hah, lol). EV's have been brought to market way too soon, and by the time #1 or #2 hit EV's will be old technology and not really wanted any longer.

when i did my comparison of pius vs elantra the gas prices were in $3's/gal (avg 12kmi/yr), and that was a 5-7yr break even timeframe, not accounting for cost of new bat pack.

and i dont buy it for 1sec that moving all of the gasoline emissions from tailpipe to a electric plant helps anything. for any smog control you can put on a plant you can do the same on a gasoline vehicle, except the items for a plant would be way more expensive to make/manage/support.

anyways, how i see it, EV's are currently novelty items. maybe more people would buy them if govt would subsidize free charging stations along interstates so that people have incentive to travel in them.

oh yeah, nothing beats the torque from magnetic field !! check U tube for EV track racers.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
every time a EV hits the road the oil suppliers smile, it just means it will take that much longer for oil to be depleted.

even at $1/gal (at the pump!) the oil companies are still making billions. they can price EV's out of the market in a split second. the only way EV's can work is either 1) govt bans oil (hah, lol), or 2) oil runs dry (hah, lol). EV's have been brought to market way too soon, and by the time #1 or #2 hit EV's will be old technology and not really wanted any longer.
I'm so glad we have you here to set us straight about how stupid the manufacturers of EV's are. As a sign my dad used to have hanging over his wet bar said, "if you're so damn smart, why ain't you rich?" :D

Oil will run dry eventually (rather, it will someday become so expensive to produce that burning it to power vehicles will become economically unfeasible); we are using it up millions of times faster than it is being produced. It likely won't happen in my lifetime, but it's a finite resource. But human beings have a long history of looking at a resource (clean water, clean air, oil, etc.) and mistakenly thinking that there is so much of it that nothing we can do will ever deplete it.

And I do not for a moment buy into the concept that all in, EV's are as polluting as internal combustion engine powered vehicles.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I'm so glad we have you here to set us straight about how stupid the manufacturers of EV's are. As a sign my dad used to have hanging over his wet bar said, "if you're so damn smart, why ain't you rich?" :D

Oil will run dry eventually (rather, it will someday become so expensive to produce that burning it to power vehicles will become economically unfeasible); we are using it up millions of times faster than it is being produced. It likely won't happen in my lifetime, but it's a finite resource. But human beings have a long history of looking at a resource (clean water, clean air, oil, etc.) and mistakenly thinking that there is so much of it that nothing we can do will ever deplete it.

And I do not for a moment buy into the concept that all in, EV's are as polluting as internal combustion engine powered vehicles.

EV is not a "new" technology. making it right in the economics of the world is the challenge.
so maybe 1,000 yrs left from oil? in that time EV's might just be old shoe, etc. maybe anti-gravity cars will be king by the time oil runs out? maybe something that can harness dark energy will be king in 500yrs from now? until oil is dry i think EV's will be novelty.

where do EV's get their energy from? we cannot assume that plants will just become big oversized singles, we have already seen this fail with big V8's being made into smaller 4's and some 6's because even though their power is less their efficiency went way up. so i do not believe plants can just become bigger, we'll need lots of smaller plants that can maintain efficiency. now spread those around and you no longer have a few big plants to be smog controlled like some have suggested, you now have lots of plants with lots of emissions, which are likely polluting no less than the gasoline vehicle counterparts. and then what exactly do all these electric plants run on? nat gas, oil, coal? nobody wants to allow nuke power any longer, so i am a tad baffled as to where all this electrical power comes from? wont the nat gas, oil, and coal run dry just like oil?
solar means everything basically stops at night, and at night the energy prices will become way more expensive. so perfectly good, you dont have emissions any longer (yaaaay, save the planet), but you also cant afford to buy the energy and/or there's simply not enough energy to be had to match what oil was giving us. sounds to me like a losing battle. maybe superconducting will get advanced in the near future so that we can get 100% efficiency out of electrical things?

gadfly56

Occupation
I prefer (3) fossil fuel users stop freeloading with their pollution and are forced to pay the appropriate cost.

Cheers, Wayne

For which there is no credible estimate. And hey, while we're at it, let's put in a credit for the increased agricultural output from all that extra CO2, shall we (Idso, C.D. and Idso, K.E. 2000. Forecasting world food supplies: The impact of the rising atmospheric CO2 concentration. Technology 7S: 33-55)?

ggunn

Occupation
EV is not a "new" technology. making it right in the economics of the world is the challenge.
so maybe 1,000 yrs left from oil?
Judging from the changes I have seen during my 66 years on the planet and the 5 years I spent working in the oilfield I would consider thinking that the world has 1000 years left with readily available and affordable oil in the face of skyrocketing demand to be... optimistic is not remotely extreme enough a term.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
so maybe 1,000 yrs left from oil?

Considering we've used an estimated 1 or 2 thirds of 'ultimately recoverable' resources in only the last 150 years or so, that seems like a wildly outlandish estimate, regardless of climate questions.

solar means everything basically stops at night, and at night the energy prices will become way more expensive. so perfectly good, you dont have emissions any longer (yaaaay, save the planet), but you also cant afford to buy the energy and/or there's simply not enough energy to be had to match what oil was giving us. sounds to me like a losing battle.

Considering that most places do not get much electricity from oil, that's a fairly nonsensical paragraph. Look at Hawaii. It's one of the few places in the US to have gotten so much electricity from diesel generators (because of being all islands), and their electricity is consequently wildly expensive by mainland standards. It's so much so that HECO became the first utility to have to refuse additional solar installations for a while and adopt new smart grid standards to move forward with additional solar. Solar with batteries is already completely competitive there, and they will probably be the first state to have true smart grids installed and get a majority of their energy from solar.

gadfly56

Occupation
I disagree.

So you want to tax farmers?

Cheers, Wayne

Did I stutter, or do you have a misapprehension of the word, "credit"? And no, not to farmers, but to the fossil fuel users whose demand for energy is supplying free fertilizer to the Ag sector of the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.