The future of the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhr

Re: The future of the trade

JHR,
Are you saying that I am hurting the trade just because I took a test?? I don't claim to be a master electrician..... I am an apprentice.
Well if the State of Kentucky is willing to allow a 3 year apprentice take his masters and he passes then guess what you just became a master electrician, now you didn't mention if the state issued you a master license but if they did, which was and is happening in Texas then that is where the problem is and it hurts you because guess what you just made yourself harder to hire and if hired you will most likely be fired quick because you will need to show that you are a master electrician when it comes to putting out the work, and because in Texas for example, you are not allowed to posses a master and a journeymans license I tried in the city of Ft Worth and was not allowed, you are either a Master or Journeyman, contractors and co workers will expect you to have not only book but also working knowledge in the capacity of a master electrician, if you would to come on my job and flash a master license then you better know your stuff. Which takes me now to wages, EC X is taking applications and you and I apply with both having masters lic. I have over 22 years experience you say you have 3, now I put on the app. I want $23.00+ per hr, IEC of Texas wages are around $13 to $14 for a 3 year apprentice it could be higher what does that do to my selling point, if EC X can hire you for less with the same license he more than likely will, but like I said you better know your stuff or he will laugh at you when you list your years of experience. That is where the problem is, but you are free to do as you like :) .

jwelectric

The future of the electrical trade is headed into a new era and most electricians are not ready for this change. The electrician of today has become complicit and has no motivation to do or be better.

At a contractor association meeting a couple of months ago we was going over box fill calculations for continuing education. After the meeting as we were fellowshipping together I over heard one electrician say, ?200 amp panel, 12 in the kitchen and bath, 10 to the water heater and air conditioner, 6 to the range and furnace and 14 for every thing else. Any body can wire a house.? This same contractor couldn?t do a box fill calculation.

I teach code prep classes and have people that have been in the trade for 10 plus years and want to get their licensee for one reason or the other. The only problem they have is there are no questions on how to bend a saddle in a 1? EMT on the test. If there was they would pass with no problem.

Peter commented in the opening post that less than 10% of the people he has dealings with today even try to advance their knowledge in the trade. I think that he was being generous with his estimation.
:)

B

bthielen

So, becoming a journeyman and/or master is expensive and one doesn't get paid much to do the grunt work that is a necessary part of the process. Well, at least one can get a job in the field and learn the trade while making a living, albeit a tough one, at the same time. Try becoming a doctor, attorney, engineer, physicist, chemist, etc. There is no such thing as on the job training. To accomplish the task in the shortest amount of time requires going to school full-time for 4, 6, 8+ years depending on the field of choice and costing tens of thousands per year before even becoming qualified at an entry level position. None of which guarantees a career opportunity.

Anything worthwhile comes at a price. It is only a select few that start out at the top. The rest of us must start at the bottom which sometimes means low wages, hard work, and long hours. At least as an electrician you can throw on a tool belt, have the desire to learn, find a contractor willing to take you under his/her wing, and your on your way.

Part of the advantage is this process weeds out some of the less dedicated and committed. In the end we are left with some of the best there are. You don't become a doctor or electrician unless you are committed to the choice.

Bob

kevinware

First I apologize to sir moderator because I keep using the form as a personal communication device but I want the form to read this so all is clear.

Second I want to apologize to the form and Jhr if I offended anyone. No, I do not have a Masters License I just took the test. The state of KY requires at a minimum 8000 hours and the completion of an approved Apprentice training program and that is on top of six years of verifiable experience and a passing score on the masters test. I have a passing score....Big woop!!That is all I have.....for now. But I doubt you will find a more hungry apprentice then me. This is what I want. I will be a Master Electrician, and I won't cheapen the trade by taking the short cuts. :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.