"The inspector carries a light meter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: "The inspector carries a light meter"

With the energy codes he might be making sure it's dark enough. Soon it might be OSHA (Darth) ver. Sierra Club (Luke) battling over whether it's too light or too dark.

I still think it's funny. :D

peter d

Originally posted by growler:
peter d, first off, you said that you had been informed by a co-worker that an inspector carried a light meter. Rule NO.1 " Don't believe everything you hear". Someone has already changed that to light saber. If he does have a light meter there may be a reason for it. Someone may have fallen down a dark stairway and broke his neck. Stairway, kitchens & bathrooms require light fixtures and not switched receptacles. If an incident happened it would not be uncommon for the local authorities to take notice and start acting like they are doing their jobs. If you have a problem call the head electrical inspector and get to the bottom of it. I herd a story about a chicken that thought the sky was falling. It turned out to be untrue.
1) This was a not a made up story. Do you really think this is beyond the realm of possibility? :confused:

2) The code only requires a lighting outlet, not a luminaire. He has no right to enforce light levels in a dwelling unit.

3) As far as personal injury resulting from a lack of lighting, I don't see the relevance. The code could require a luminaire for every 10 square feet in a dwelling, but they are all useless if they aren't turned on or the lamp is burned out.

cselectric

Originally posted by peter d:

2) The code only requires a lighting outlet, not a luminaire. He has no right to enforce light levels in a dwelling unit.

Maybe, maybe not. It helps to remember that the NEC isn't the only code we must adhere to. Perhaps he is enforcing energy code (though as I stated earlier, a light meter is a poor way to do so.) Perhaps he is enforcing a local code addendum, or a state code addendum. I don't reside in your area, so I don't know what codes are enforced, but there are often more than just the NEC to consider.

peter d

I am well aware that there are other codes to consider. The fire alarm code that requires smoke detectors in every bedroom around here is certainly one we deal with all the time.

There are no local or building code ammendments that mandate light levels in a dwelling unit that I am aware of. We certainly don't have an energy code that requires energy efficient ligthing in a dwelling unit. In fact, most homes are going the other way with tons of recessed incandescent lights.

But I will do some research to double check. If I am wrong, or someone can prove that I am wrong, I will gladly admit that I raised a big stink for nothing. :) The state in question is Connecticut.

luckyshadow

Want to really stir the pot ? Don't install light bulbs in the fuxtures next time. Tell him there not in the contract. Then ask to see how his light meter works :eek:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Seriously though if it's the guy I think it is they might have said he is a "Light eater". Very skinny fella. :D
The guy likes Beaver? Who doesn't?

I preferred Mr. Ed.

wallace

I go along with member 351 There are other codes to consider. 2003 IRC section 303.1If a glazed area in a window does not supply 8% of the floor area it can be satisfied by haveing artificial light producing an average of 6 footcandles over the area of a room at a height of30 inches above the floor. There are alot of code books out there to consider.

peter d

The plot thickens. It looks like I may be wrong about this one....possibly. :eek:

From the ammendements to the building codes:

(A) Covered. This Code covers the installation of electric conductors, electric equipment, signaling and communications conductors and equipment, and fiber optic cables and raceways for the following:

b. installations in detached one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures shall be in accordance with the requirements of this code [the NEC] or with the requirements of the 2003 International Residential Code portion of the 1999 State Building Code;

(B) Not Covered. This code does not cover the following:

(6) Installations in one- and two-family dwellings and multiple single-family dwellings (townhouses) not more than three stories in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures that are in accordance with the provisions of the 2003 International Residential Code portion of the 1999 State Building Code.
This is just plain weird. So it appears that residential electrical installations must either meet the NEC or the IRC. I don't know how one would know which code to use, when we are give the option to comply with one or the other.

The NEC does not contain requirements for light levels, but the IRC does. So perhaps this inspector is enforcing the IRC. That means he can't enforce the NEC. The "or" language means it must be one or the other.

Now, I am not at all familiar with the IRC. Does it contain electrical requirements similar to the NEC?

Why can't things just be simple? :confused:

pierre

"Why can't things just be simple? "

Peter
If they were simple, anyone could do this work and we would not be professionals ;)

Yes there are energy codes that need to be followed, but they are not the electrical inspectors field work inspection for type of compliance. A professional licensed Engineer has to stamp the prints with his seal to say he has performed the proper calculations, and designed the building accordingly.
As an inspector, I would not even know where to begin to take the readings, how many readings and at what time of day, etc...

cselectric

Originally posted by pierre:
"Why can't things just be simple? "

Peter
If they were simple, anyone could do this work and we would not be professionals ;)

Yes there are energy codes that need to be followed, but they are not the electrical inspectors field work inspection for type of compliance. A professional licensed Engineer has to stamp the prints with his seal to say he has performed the proper calculations, and designed the building accordingly.
As an inspector, I would not even know where to begin to take the readings, how many readings and at what time of day, etc...
In general you are correct. However I have seen a few municipalities where the enforcement of energy code, as it relates to lighting, does fall upon the electrical inspector.

That being said, I still don't get the light meter. That would be too easy to bluff. Say I have fixtures rated for 100 Watt lamps, but using said lamps would put me over my energy code limits. No problem, I just put 25 watt bulbs in, then the inspectors meter says all is well. When he walks out, the dim bulbs go bye bye and the 100 watt lamps are installed. For this reason, every time I've been inspected for energy code compliance it was initially a print approval, and then a check of the fixtures for maximum allowed lamp size and calculations based on that.

cselectric

Peter, I also noticed that CT enforces the IECC. I'm not sure if that has any reference to residential lighting as I don't possess a copy of said code.

allenwayne

We as electriicians. Wire as per NEC and any adopted local addendums.We get there well after the point of an EE getting certified plans from the county/building city dept.So that point goes out the window :D ;) :eek:

peter d

Originally posted by cselectric:
Peter, I also noticed that CT enforces the IECC. I'm not sure if that has any reference to residential lighting as I don't possess a copy of said code.
No, residential lighting is not covered. As I said earlier, all the mini-mansions around here have dozens or incandescent recessed lights, 10 seer air conditioners, landscape lighting, pools, hot tubs, the works. Hardly energy efficient. :roll:

As others have said, even though the IRC has required light levels, how the heck do you test them? It's just plain stupid, IMHO.

allenwayne

In residential you don`t.There is nothing in the nec that gives us a min. candle power.Just says there has to be a luminare in the room either direct ceiling wired or a switched wall receptacle
The NEC spends more explanation as far as switch placement than it does in RE: to actual lighting requirements.This is general lighting in a S.F.R.
Now commercial/ industrial that`s a whole nother ball park I have been out of for awhile
as far as requirements for minimal lighting I`ll turn over to anyone more versed in this area.
But in the past 15 tears since I moved here to fla. I found you can get a final with keyless and no bulbs installed or just a wp shower trim in a bathroom with a tub.
The biggest difference is in Single Family after the fact,the AHJ knows the people will install what is needed in the master bath, because if moma ain`t happy ain`t nobody happy :D .
Lets be real in a commercial situation that`s a whole different senario.What is installed will stay there till the building is either torn down or remodeled.In a SFR the lighting will be changed ,improved,etc. to suit the H/O`R. You are the homeowner everyone here.You going to leave what is installed as a basic,no !!!!Are you pulling a permit for each fixture change ?? I don`t think so :D

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by allenwayne:
There is nothing in the nec that gives us a min. candle power.Just says there has to be a luminaire in the room either direct ceiling wired or a switched wall receptacle
Where does the NEC require a luminaire?

All I see is a requirement for lighting outlets. :p

physis

I'm surprised the super competitive tract housing industry even installs luminaires. :D :D

allenwayne

If they gave us a final without them i suppose that would be the scenario :D :D

physis

Take 'em to task Allen. Make your boss proud and give George some real insentive to get his proposal on it to the NFPA. :cool:

allenwayne

SC_ _W that I don`t get paid enough for the job I do. :D :D
Yeah Now I am in the fast paced field of tract housing ,is that where I want to be no but as situations evolved that is where I am :D :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.