The lowballer wins again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

Sparky555 said:
Likewise, but you have to take into consideration that gas is SO much cheaper in the south & cell phones are for girls. As long as the guy has a satellite dish & a new pickup it doesn't matter how many teeth are left in his wife's mouth.

Dave

That pretty low man, and i dont even live in the south.

scwirenut

Rich R said:
I aints got time for all that fancy new york city book learnin

lets re due these figures for a 1man contractor and helper

phone $0- see cell below , only phone you need
cell $100/00 x 12 = 1000.00
fuel 400 x 12 = 4800---even with high prices, 1 truck is only $100/wk
0il change $20.00 x 4 = 80.00 any garage is $20, heck wally world is $15
truck payment $0---paid for
tires 150.00 x4= 600.00/2= $300, my tires last 2 years easy
truck insurance 1200.00, allstate full cov
truck general maint 500.00
tool maint,repair,replacement 1500.00?, new klien set with bag $180, new 28v liion set $600, come on who buys this every year, Ill buy $500
new total=$8380, and remember every person has these expenses ,even city employees
helper wages 11hr x2080 hrs 22880, wc, ss, ui, = 5700 total employ=28600
add in 8380=36980
450mat, 150 helper, 500 me = 1100
650 x 5= 3200/wk x 50 wk= 162500- 36980= $125,520

$125,520 is alot of money here, heck half that is a lot.

NolaTigaBait

wow! thats all i can say...the service alone is way more than 1100...and to change ungrounded recepts to grounded...ar you re-wiring or using a thousand gfis?....for you to make 125 k a year at those prices...you'll be paralyzed by the time you are 35

scwirenut

NolaTigaBait said:
wow! thats all i can say...the service alone is way more than 1100...and to change ungrounded recepts to grounded...ar you re-wiring or using a thousand gfis?....for you to make 125 k a year at those prices...you'll be paralyzed by the time you are 35

any house with a 60 amp service is going to have maybe 4 recept circuits max, thats $50 in gfcis, and $50 in new outlets and covers, add in a $150 combo/breakers, $150 for mast/hub/flashing,wire and $50 for rods, EGC, ect..., $25 permit= 425, $75 left to play, do it in 6hrs

peter d

scwirenut said:
any house with a 60 amp service is going to have maybe 4 recept circuits max, thats $50 in gfcis, and $50 in new outlets and covers, add in a $150 combo/breakers, $150 for mast/hub/flashing,wire and $50 for rods, EGC, ect..., $25 permit= 425, $75 left to play, do it in 6hrs

Thank you for showing all the prospective business owners here how NOT to run a business, and what NOT to charge.

NolaTigaBait

i don't know how the market is in s.c., but here in new orleans...you'd be broke ...and i would think you would be broke just about anywhere at those prices...are you stealing the materials and do you employ illegals?...or do you work just for fun?...oh yeah and GEAUX TIGERS...LSU TIGERS 2007 BCS champs.....how'd you like that fake field goal last year??????

satcom

peter d said:
Thank you for showing all the prospective business owners here how NOT to run a business, and what NOT to charge.

As soon as i read "truck payment $0---paid for" there is nothing more to say, he only thinks he is running a business, but this country is great, you can work for little or nothing, and your free to loose as much as you like.

scwirenut

NolaTigaBait said:
i don't know how the market is in s.c., but here in new orleans...you'd be broke ...and i would think you would be broke just about anywhere at those prices...are you stealing the materials and do you employ illegals?...or do you work just for fun?...oh yeah and GEAUX TIGERS...LSU TIGERS 2007 BCS champs.....how'd you like that fake field goal last year??????

well, im not broke, I have paid in full 2 commercial vans in 2 years, i work 32hrs/wk, half at home estimating /contracting, thats what materials cost here, and I pay my guys more than any other EC I know. I am a small company grossing $300k/year keeping a little less than half. my company is debt free. that makes me live like a king. I could always go work for the city as a master for $25k ( also, im know at the supply house to other electricians as "the high guy")

JacksonburgFarmer

Some of you guys dont understand.....

Some of you guys dont understand.....

I know first hand that in some areas EC's cant charge what can be in other areas. Also depends on type of work being done. In sw ohio, resi work is about 50 to low 60 an hour. YOU WILL NOT GET MORE THAN THAT...Farm work can bring little more, We are at $53.00 hr for JW. Some companys are more, but dont have much work. We stay busy for that. Not getting rich....But getting by. I question if some of you guys really bill what you say you do....:grin: :grin: :grin:

scwirenut

satcom said:
As soon as i read "truck payment $0---paid for" there is nothing more to say, he only thinks he is running a business, but this country is great, you can work for little or nothing, and your free to loose as much as you like.

hopefully one day you can pay off your debts too, there comes a time (40yrs old) where you want to start living stress free, one less stress is knowing you owe no-one.

scwirenut

NolaTigaBait said:
i'm 75 an hour and in New Orleans, that is on the low side

see what you guys dont understand is that im known as the high guy in the county, not the low side as above. wherever you live you have to adapt to your surroundings. remember I said I only win 5% of what I bid on, would you have me raise my price and win no bids? would that be the good way to run a business?

scwirenut

NolaTigaBait said:
i understand you have to adapt...but man those prices are ridiculous!...they need to stop cut throating each other and charge a decent price

remember that $500 I made in one day on above job, the HO i did the job for wont gross that in a week much less bring it home after deducts.

c2500

Sparky555 said:
Likewise, but you have to take into consideration that gas is SO much cheaper in the south & cell phones are for girls. As long as the guy has a satellite dish & a new pickup it doesn't matter how many teeth are left in his wife's mouth.

Dave

Well is it my our fault you have high gas taxes? Males having cell phones is common here. I have High Def with Directv, and a high def big screen to boot, though my Chevy 2500 4x4 is an 2003 model.

And would you believe my wife not only has all her teeth, they are nice and white. We have had dentists here for a while now.

As for real estate, you better be prepared for $180-220 a square foot where I live. (and that includes indoor plumbing)

But then again, I live in the northern part of SC :D

c2500

scwirenut

c2500 said:
Well is it my our fault you have high gas taxes? Males having cell phones is common here. I have High Def with Directv, and a high def big screen to boot, though my Chevy 2500 4x4 is an 2003 model.

And would you believe my wife not only has all her teeth, they are nice and white. We have had dentists here for a while now.

As for real estate, you better be prepared for $180-220 a square foot where I live. (and that includes indoor plumbing)

But then again, I live in the northern part of SC :D

c2500

i hope some of that will trickle down south, new homes are built here for $85-$125/sq, i just sold my old house (1984) all brick , sprinklers, gaslogs, garage,nice subdivision, 1634sq/ft.......on the market for 13mo. listed at 134k, dropped it every 3 mo. finally sold last week for $102.500. i paid 92k for it 5 years ago

emahler

scwirenut said:
hopefully one day you can pay off your debts too, there comes a time (40yrs old) where you want to start living stress free, one less stress is knowing you owe no-one.

why not pay yourself that truck payment every month? so that when you need another, or a new, truck, you have the money in the bank set aside for it? so you don't have to pull out of cash reserves to pay for it?

still no debt. you just let your customers pay for your new truck, instead of taking it out of profit....

scwirenut

emahler said:
why not pay yourself that truck payment every month? so that when you need another, or a new, truck, you have the money in the bank set aside for it? so you don't have to pull out of cash reserves to pay for it?

still no debt. you just let your customers pay for your new truck, instead of taking it out of profit....

as a sub chapter S corp, corp profit is taxed at the personal rate, so it makes no difference either way, I just sink what i would normally pay in truck payments into interest bearing money markets. when i need something the money is there. why pay the bank interest when the banks can pay you.

oh i almost forgot, some think i work harder not smarter.........

Status
Not open for further replies.