The Most [INSERT ADJECTIVE HERE] Power System You've Ever Worked On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Oh yes, I forget one. PAT testing. Not the electrical one. The pets as therapy. Mine gets along with the elderly at bed ridden and makes them happy.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yea but did you work on it?

Yea? Makes me think you know of a system which eclipses the engineering feet of Con Ed 😳 😲🤯 (Excluding the Eastern and EU Interconnections themselves)

Start with this >>>

1628454766799.png

Generation, incoming and outgoing is alternated across a space saving ring bus- double ring bus in larger stations.

Typically the system and HPFF cables are in groups of 5. Meaning that in an N-2 portion of the system 3 cables are sized to take on full load, and in parts of the system with N-1 criteria, 4 cables can take on full load.

So if you have a 1000 MVA flow gate, each cable is rated 333.33 MVA. Loss of two cables results in 3 carry load below the STE rating.

Same with 345kv being stepped down to 138kv:

1628455153491.png

Each 345/138kv auto is rated 420MVA, supplying 1,260 MVA of load. This means that each asset is more utilized at any given time (loading over 50%) vs classical 50/50 schemes.

Zones of protection? The concept allows you to combine them and thats needed for the lack of space in the boroughs.

See this:

1628455350539.png

By replicating the combined 7 plus zones of protection, you can loose two HPFF cables, and the remaining 3 will seamlessly take over the load.

Breaker failure is covered, because the next bay over will remove either generation or an auto, but not two auto or two supplies or two gens.

Still yet, the distro stations (ignore the circuit switchers, those have not been added yet)

1628455528847.png

1628455541606.png

Same idea. Lose any sync bus and the other still keeps the trafos in parallel. Lose any 13.8kv bus section and at most each network is put in N-2, which that its designed for. Any 15kv breaker failure results in two bus sections and maybe a trafo being removed, but neither network goes past n-2.

5 and 8% voltage reduction can help should the 13.8kv network go to N-3 or N-4 during peak load.

Outside of peak load you can lose 3 feeder cables without outages or V reduction, 4 feeders only some spots but the system still runs "normal" below its STE.

Older none double snyc bus station:

1628455895386.png

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
Start with this >>>
Honestly man, why do you desperately scrape the internet for whatever drawings and figures you can find and fit into your narrative? For example, a simple google search reveals where you got this diagram: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Francisco-Leon-6

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 2.06.53 PM.png
This thread is simple. Its about power systems you've worked on and something specific/interesting about that experience you personally encountered and can share. I get you want to be part of the discussion, but please just sit it out if you don't have something relevant to contribute. Personally, I think (and I know other members agree) you seem to get off on flooding these threads with useless crap somehow thinking you are providing overwhelming indisputable facts and helpful/supporting information, when really you are destroying the discussion by forcing it off the rails.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Honestly man, why do you desperately scrape the internet for whatever drawings and figures you can find and fit into your narrative? For example, a simple google search reveals where you got this diagram: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Francisco-Leon-6

This thread is simple. Its about power systems you've worked on and something specific/interesting about that experience you personally encountered and can share. I get you want to be part of the discussion, but please just sit it out if you don't have something relevant to contribute. Personally, I think (and I know other members agree) you seem to get off on flooding these threads with useless crap somehow thinking you are providing overwhelming indisputable facts and helpful/supporting information, when really you are destroying the discussion by forcing it off the rails.

As I said in the NYC outage thread on August 6, 2019: public docs which I know you read-

We both know anything else is CEII.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

I can not share anything which fits this, or a company's own definition of it. You and I both know that.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Licensed Electrical Engineer, Licensed Electrical Contractor, Certified Master Electrician
As I said in the NYC outage thread on August 6, 2019: public docs which I know you read-

We both know anything else is CEII.
Refer to post #23 second paragraph.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Refer to post #23 second paragraph.

Con Edison is on odd, unique one of a kind system which fits this thread.

For some reason you then bring up that I'm trying to prove something by bring Con Ed into the discussion; which is in reality de-railing.

I have no agenda or point to prove other than how unique their system is, at least from how I saw it.

Last edited:

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
Con Edison is on odd, unique one of a kind system which fits this thread.

For some reason you then bring up that I'm trying to prove something by bring Con Ed into the discussion; which is in reality de-railing.

I have no agenda or point to prove other than how unique their system is, at least from how I saw it.
Like an acid in need of neutralization.

Besoeker3

Occupation
How about you actually add something constructive to the discussion?

Honestly...
Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm prepared to give everyone a go about what they say they've worked on or with. Since it's difficult to actually verify these claims, why dismiss them? It's just possible that mbrook has worked in/around the NY distribution system; its also just possible that you've worked on the DW Tunnel (and even likely that Tom worked on that reactor plant and Besoeker3 on paper mills).

Me? The "strangest" system I've worked with is high-leg delta, and I don't consider that strange at all, just perhaps a little mid-guided. It's been a boring life :LOL:.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Maybe I'm gullible, but I'm prepared to give everyone a go about what they say they've worked on or with. Since it's difficult to actually verify these claims, why dismiss them? It's just possible that mbrook has worked in/around the NY distribution system; its also just possible that you've worked on the DW Tunnel (and even likely that Tom worked on that reactor plant).

Me? The "strangest" system I've worked with is high-leg delta, and I don't consider that strange at all, just perhaps a little mid-guided. It's been a boring life :LOL:.

I feel like no one has ever heard of a private contractor or relay test tech. Or a substation tech. Or someone who sits in an office all day verifying wiring diagram for DC and CT/PT circuits.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I hate to close this thread as I am sure there are a number of folks who worked with some most interesting or most disastrous projects which would be of interest to others however, if we can't get past the accusations and "mine is bigger than yours" comments, the thread will be closed.

Besoeker3

Occupation
I hate to close this thread as I am sure there are a number of folks who worked with some most interesting or most disastrous projects which would be of interest to others however, if we can't get past the accusations and "mine is bigger than yours" comments, the thread will be closed.
Totally agree Mr Augie.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Nothing close to spectacular, just average. 😉

But reading what some of the extremely experienced and retired (or close to it) professionals here have done in their past is entertaining and educational at the same time.
Never underestimate the older members of the forum, they may have designed or even patented some of what others here are working with today…

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Never underestimate the older members of the forum, they may have designed or even patented some of what others here are working with today…
A bunch of years back, I changed employers. We were on a project at a paper mill. My temporary supervisor was discussing How we should write up the NEC issues our team had discovered.

I had to politely point out they were not violations, based on the NEC at the time I had designed and commissioned the original installation.

xptpcrewx

Power System Engineer
Occupation
A bunch of years back, I changed employers. We were on a project at a paper mill. My temporary supervisor was discussing How we should write up the NEC issues our team had discovered.

I had to politely point out they were not violations, based on the NEC at the time I had designed and commissioned the original installation.
Who was the employer?

Status
Not open for further replies.