They'll tell you whatever you wana hear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You may hate it, but those opinions are the only ones that count.

In the case of this thread, it looks like the owner's opinions got him a 30 many company that is growing and hiring new people. The company is successful enough to have the OP apply to it for work.

But let's forget that and listen to the newly hired journeyman who already knows everything.

ETA: Sorry, I should have said apprentice instead of journeyman :D

OHOH! ***SNARK ALERT***

HackElectric

OHOH! ***SNARK ALERT***
I know, I know.

It's just that in every situation of a newly hired apprentice who comes in and starts making complaints about the company, you always find that they made complaints about the other companies they worked for too, all 35 of them :lol::D

He's an apprentice in NJ so I'm sure he can take some ribbing. If he were in MA then I wouldn't be so rough on him cause I know they are a bit more delicate.

renosteinke

Two things to remember:
1) You are not a serf / slave, peon; and,
2) Everyone already knows what a jackalope you're working for.

This will work in you favor as you look for another job. You'll get credit for being stalwart, and you won't have to explain "why" you want another job.

The hardest part for you will be to ensure that this job does not erode your good skills, or teach you bad attitudes.

kwired

Electron manager
Of couse he was one of those geniuses that had an answer for everything.

He had used 1/2" nylon to pull 750 before. But how far?
He stated that you can pull a car with 1/2" nylon. Sure you can but compare that to the weight of almost 4000 ft of 750.
But would you pull a car with 4000 feet of it? You get a lot more stretch and potential energy build up in that kind of length compared to say 20-25 feet.

Though even a short nylon tow rope intended for pulling vehicles can release a lot of energy should they break or come unhooked. I've heard stories about people sitting in the cab of a pickup truck and the hook comes loose for some reason from the other vehicle and it flings that hook through the back window of the pickup truck and the person dies from the resulting head injury.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
You can believe I explained all of the short-commings of useing nylon rope to the project manager.

Of course he was one of those geniuses that had an answer for everything.

He had used 1/2" nylon to pull 750 before. But how far?
He stated that you can pull a car with 1/2" nylon. Sure you can but compare that to the weight of almost 4000 ft of 750.
A new manila rope would cost between $600-$700. What's it going to cost when that nylon cuts into the PVC and we damage 750 cable?

Yes, nylon is dangerous but there are still some managers out there that refuse to buy a decent pull rope. Some managers only think of the cost to have the right equipment on the job and not how much it can cost if they don't have the right equipment (can be a lot more).

Big spool comes off the wrong jack stand and drops on a man's foot.. What does that cost?

1. he's an idjit. never argue with one. it annoys the jackalopes.

2. anyone who uses nylon rope for any load bearing task where
the stupid stuff can store energy, should stand next to the
pipe while the pull is going on. not the inlet pipe. the nasty
pipe, where the rope is getting ready to release that energy.

3. $9.33 a foot for copper 750. i had to price it this week. copper
went up again. what a shock.

4. http://www.contractorsrope.com/pulling-rope.html

J.P.

I work for a small shop ( 10 guys ) The owner is really cool. You need time off, no problem. Paid Ins. I take my truck home everyday and can borrow stuff from the shop if I need to for my own use.

Just get your job done in a timely fashion. You can do it your way as long as you aren't screwing up.....

Most of the guys are good to work with, we all have our niches and usually only work together on large wire pulls.

We have some equipment, tuggers, pipe threaders/ a power head, I have a pipe vice on my bumper, couple of electric crimpers for lugs. A digger truck for building powerline and a bucket truck without a auger. Got a new mini excavator with a cab a while back. a big gas scissor lift and a smaller electric lift.

We don't have any jack stands for our spools. A lot of the time we end up with hand roles and have to roll them out. Our local supply place isn't set up to put whole circuits on a single spool. Kind of sucks, but that's how it is.
Don't have any handy pulleys for making wire pulls easier. Sometimes I really wish we did.

We have one guy that nobody wants to work with, he knows everything. He is always complaining about this and talking about the perfect tool some other shop had or how they did it at some big union company. He's a 8 year apprentice that even if he passed his test on the 43rd time wouldn't be trusted to run a job.
The other day I put him in the mini excavator had my helper spot for him and told him to be very careful because I didn't know what was under the ground and nothing showed up on the locate. It was right beside a building though.
He broke the bell off of the 4" pipe I had under the footer.
He broke the water line 1-1/2 ( filled up the ditch in 10 min. I was impressed.
He broke the sewer line after I rented a trash pump and sucked out our ditch.
Then he hooked the existing electrical conduit and swore he didn't. Didn't hurt the conductors but creased and flattened the underside of the pipe.
My helper is a good guy, he always does a good job spotting for me, He told me the other guy wouldn't listen to him and dug too fast.
Don't be that guy. If your unhappy in your situation.......remove yourself from that situation.

HackElectric

He will need to be promoted before he becomes a "peon". Then the owner will have him working in perpetual servitude trying to pay for those extra materials he ordered.
Do you think the OP saw a paycheck of one of the foreman and saw the deduction?

Or do you think it was typical company gossip?

growler

Thanks for the good advice , I only have 4 years experience so I have some time before I'll be able to run work .

Its just funny how the owner said he has everything you'll need to work with and I find out
that's not the case , but I found out you'll never totally be satisfied with a company it's always a give n take

It's just that in every situation of a newly hired apprentice who comes in and starts making complaints about the company, you always find that they made complaints about the other companies they worked for too, all 35 of them :lol::D

Does this comment by the OP sound like the company complainer?

He got a new job and he is disillusioned and now he has vented and it's back to work another day. Life goes on.

Sooner or later he will wonder why he ever hired in at Hack Electric, just the name of the company should have given him a clue what to expect.

Sorry Hack, just couldn't resist the temptation.

liquidtite

I know, I know.

He's an apprentice in NJ so I'm sure he can take some ribbing. If he were in MA then I wouldn't be so rough on him cause I know they are a bit more delicate.

I only have four years experience but luckily I've worked under a really top notch mechanic in the past .
he taught me the right way to work and the proper conditions to work under.
It dosnt nessary matter how many years experience you have it's if you know how to do things the right way and take pride in your work .for example I've been on jobs were every circuit had to be in conduit. And I was taught the right way to run emt. So I have a lot of experience bending and runing emt . Know you can take my 4 years of experience and put me in a room with you and theirs a good chance I mite bend circles around u.

as far as complaining goes I just wanted to see if anyone had the same experience as me were the owner will tell you he's Very well equipped and that's not the case . I deff don't think I no everything or have the all the answers , hint y I'm here to learn !
But I do know rolling out a reel of 500,s instead of buying a pair of jack stands is not the best way to work.

Last edited:

liquidtite

You may hate it, but those opinions are the only ones that count.

In the case of this thread, it looks like the owner's opinions got him a 30 many company that is growing and hiring new people. The company is successful enough to have the OP apply to it for work.

But let's forget that and listen to the newly hired journeyman who already knows everything.

ETA: Sorry, I should have said apprentice instead of journeyman :D

I know, I know.

It makes sense now he's from mass
deff a hakwaker.. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.