thinking of a EE degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcengineer

I went to a technical high school and studied electrical code, theory and installation. It was great, very similar to the Union apprenticeship program, but I got to do it during high school. During my senior year I worked a coop job during shop week (every other week). I happened to work at a power plant. Great experience in industrial, etc. There was an old timer who was always in clean clothes (compared to the field guys). I asked him what he did, and he said that he was an electrical engineer. I decided that looked good when I was 17 years old. I'm now 38 and just got my PE license this year. I went to college full time right out of high school and following that I went to work in the electrical construction industry working my way up to estimator, project manager, etc. It was tough when I finally decided to move into engineering as there was a pay-cut associated with the step back. But as they say, sometimes you gotta step back a bit to jump forward (think of standing at the edge of a crevasse, you'd want to step away to get a running start). Anyway, (6) years later I got the PE license. I started consulting there-after, and have never enjoyed working more despite the bad economy.

I say, if you think you might like it, than do it. As one post above mentioned, you can start now and four years from now you might have your degree. Either way it'll be 2014. There's nothing wrong with having an education. It provides choices which others don't have and opens doors.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.