This Old House unsafe practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakee911

Anyone see the latest this old house episode? The electrician was working on live unfused POCO wiring (and touching it barehanded) with absolutely no PPE and justifying it by the fact that he was on a fiberglass ladder. Seems unsafe to me and I think that the average DIY Joe is going to say I can do that and then die. What does everyone think?

WorkSafe

The people on those DIY shows are always doing something against code or industry standard. I sometimes feel bad for the customers. Not only do you see hacks in electrical, but also in plumbing, tile setting, etc. I'm sure these shows have been discussed on these forums already, but it's always an eye opener.

raider1

Staff member
I saw that episode myself and was just astonished that they would advocate connecting a temporary connection to the utility service drop live. What they were showing is a major OSHA violation.

Chris

westelectric

What makes me laugh too is when you see the hosts put on a hard hat, eye protection and 3 pairs of gloves to drive a screw into a piece of wood, but, disconnect and tie in a temp drop from an unfused service drop.....no problem, I'm on a fiberglass ladder.

Rewire

Saftey equipment costs money and if the show is on a tight budget and the electrician is willing to work without it the producer doesn't care.Thier are alot of "willing" electricians out in the real world doing the exact same thing all because of a low bid and the GC doesn't care.

480sparky

..........and the electrician is willing to work without it the producer doesn't care...........

But the shows' lawyers sure would.

These types of shows know all too well their liability when it comes to airing stuff like this. That is where Alans' stunt should have been edited out...... the lawyer's office.

This is why you rarely see electricians on the show, let alone electricians actually showing, step-by-step, what they do.

wptski

I saw that show also. It also amazes me when they go to a shop that's making a granite, etc. counter tops for them. All kinds of cutting, wet grinding and wet polishing done with nobody wearing safety glasses!

Funnier yet, a extension ladder up to a level with the last rung just above the roof, etc line. They come up the ladder and easily onto the roof, etc. Like to see them get back on that ladder just a easily!!

Jim_BE

it's POCOs too

it's POCOs too

I have sat in amazement watching some of these DIY shows... and hoping that Joe Homeowner doesn't try it. This might be a little off topic but:mad: I see POCO company managment do the same thing with a "TapOn" program that allows electricians to hook up single phase overhead residential services. There was no real safety training, no guidelines (type of ladder, gloves etc) and no real qualification requirements ( license etc) just pay a fee and give them proof of insurance and you are certified. what is wrong with this picture ????

Rewire

But the shows' lawyers sure would.

These types of shows know all too well their liability when it comes to airing stuff like this. That is where Alans' stunt should have been edited out...... the lawyer's office.

This is why you rarely see electricians on the show, let alone electricians actually showing, step-by-step, what they do.

I havn't watched sinse they booted Bob but I don't think the show is billed as an instuctional program

Status
Not open for further replies.