Three phase starter used for 1 phase motor

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
All we have at our company is 3 phase starters and the closest I have is a 3 phase 1/2 hp motor starter with what looks to be with an adjustable overload knob

The motor is a single phase 1/4 hp motor at 115 volts. The NEC FLC was 5.8 ampere

Is it proper to feed the three phase 1/2 hp (all we have but close size) motor starter from a 15 ampere time delay fuse to only L1 terminal of starter and exit T1 to motor

Then leave neutral unfused, not connected to starter terminals, but source neutral connected directly to motor neutral terminal?

Attachments

• IMG_1952.jpeg
    IMG_1952.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 23

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
And you have to be able to set the overload current on the starter to what you need for that motor. Usually 1 15 x motor amps. But this can vary with the motor service factor.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
3 phase starter with its internal overload so yea I guess I would have to connect neutral to overload contacts in starter for single phase motor

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
And you have to be able to set the overload current on the starter to what you need for that motor. Usually 1 15 x motor amps. But this can vary with the motor service factor.
I sure hope so, there is a dial so I think so

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
You can do it that way.

You will need to run the wire thru all three overload heaters though if it is an iec style overload.
What does iec style mean? We have these old starters but I’m not as familiar with them

I guess leads 95 and 96 are overload and A1 A2 control side

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You would do this by using some small jumpers. For example:
Line in to L1,
Jumper T1 to T2
Jumper L2 to L3
T3 to motor.
No, that doesn’t do it, it splits the current flow. It all needs to be in series.
  • Line hot goes to L1
  • Jumper T1 to L2
  • Jumper T2 to L3
  • Motor hot lead goes to T3
  • Connect the neutral directly.

retirede

No, that doesn’t do it, it splits the current flow. It all needs to be in series.
  • Line hot goes to L1
  • Jumper T1 to L2
  • Jumper T2 to L3

I disagree - read it again. The only difference in his and yours is the direction of L2 & T2 in the circuit. They’re still in series.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
  • Line hot goes to L1
  • Jumper T1 to L2
  • Jumper T2 to L3
Your method requires long jumpers to be run top to bottom of the contactor and overload.
My method allows simple short jumpers between two nearby terminals.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
It think the OP needs to start with the basics of understanding how a full voltage starter works, what its purpose is, and all the control issues that come with it. In this day and age you also need to understand the differences and nuances between a NEMA VS IEC starter.