Tie into ground wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

phochief

Amateur radio operator here with a grounding question. My antenna tower is grounded with twelve 8' rods spaced out from the base all bonded with cadwelds. I also have 6 awg wire bonded to the tower ground that runs underground to a single point ground plate just outside my radio room. All antenna coax and control wires are fed through ICE Impulse arrestors. Another 6 awg wire runs from the SPG to the main's ground rod on the other side of the house (about 100' away).

My radio room WAS in my son's bedroom, but he evicted me. :grin: So, I moved my radio room to another room on the other side of the house. I extended all of my coax and control cables from the original SPG to the new radio room. This is going to be a temporary location for my ham radio room (son will eventually graduate and move out) so I don't want to move the single point ground.

I put a new 8' ground rod just outside the new radio room and ran copper strap from each piece of radio gear directly to that rod, to serve as a safety ground and an RF ground.

I assume I should bind the new ground rod to the main's ground. Can I run 30' of 6 awg wire from the new rod and clamp or cadweld it to the existing 6 awg wire that already goes to the main's ground rod (from the SPG)? Or, do I have to run a wire from the new ground rod all the way to the main's ground rod? In other words, is it ok to splice into a ground wire with another ground wire that goes to the main's ground? All of these bare copper wires are a few inches underground.

I don't have a clue about NEC codes, but would still like to do it right.

Thanks,
David

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.