Torque Specs on lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
new torque screwdriver

new torque screwdriver

A number of years ago when torquing became the in thing to do I bought a new torque screwdriver that allowed me to join the crowd of responsible installers. Following all directions and witnessed by a State Electrical inspector I proudly demonstrated the new "Certified" tool and promptly torqued that #12 solid wire to where it was cut to the breaking point on the neutral bar. Not once but several times. Just a little disappointed. $85 plus and I was back to using a plain old screwdriver again. The neutral bars were eventually changed by that manufacturer to one that praised the square head design on the setscrews so we could use our cordless drill/drivers to tighten them. At least the wires did not self destruct at the proper recomended torque anymore.

hillbilly

I sometimes "grit my teeth" when I'm torquing a lug. Just waiting for something to let go. I was torquing lugs in a meter main the other day and one of the (factory installed) lugs on grounding bar turned about 15 degrees as I was tightening the set screw. What to do? The mounting screw entered the lug from the back and the only way to check it is to tear the panel apart.
I think that the lug probably got tighter as it turned, but that's just a guess.
Ever happen to anyone else?
steve

plastic

plastic

Worse than the terminal moving is the plastic holding it breaks before you even get near torque spec
now I always hold the outside of the lug to prevent it from moving. :) Even have custom clamps I've made to hold some of the common ones. (perk of having access to machine shops):D

Status
Not open for further replies.