Training Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
We are a small shop looking for training courses for our apprentice and maybe even JM. We want to implement some kinda training courses to help the younger generation of apprentice but so far no luck. Anyone have suggestions with starting a class at work or just some online courses guys can do on their own time that we could keep track off? or any suggestions. I know the larger shops are having trouble finding good help and the guys with a license arent any better so they decided to raise their own.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Only problem with at home on-line classes is if there heart isn’t in it they will simply put in the required time and gain nothing from it.

But than again the same with in person, so really either way the ones that want to eat you will be offering the food.

I would suggest all of MikeHolts material. Not just study prep for the J-Man test, but electrical theory, bonding and grounding. Anything to help them understand the why and how behind the task they will be performing in the field.

gas

I know this is Mike Holt's forum but the Independent Electric Contractors have very good material and on line classes.

phoxape

Occupation
Officer
We are a small shop looking for training courses for our apprentice and maybe even JM. We want to implement some kinda training courses to help the younger generation of apprentice but so far no luck. Anyone have suggestions with starting a class at work or just some online courses guys can do on their own time that we could keep track off? or any suggestions. I know the larger shops are having trouble finding good help and the guys with a license arent any better so they decided to raise their own.
you can consider online classes on some networks such as zoom, team meeting, etc.
or you can create an Android application that provides training videos.

apkfun.com

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO.

Best bet is to take some electrical theory classes at a local JC so they understand what Volts, Amps, Ohms, Watts, etc. are. Hopefully the JC has an electrical lab where they can learn to properly use meters, scopes, and other electrical instruments.

Beyond that, there are a ton of electrical trainers out there. Talk to people who have taken their classes. Books, online, or in person classes are all good but no matter what, if the guy is unmotivated to learn, he (or she) won't learn.

Buy them all their own copy of the code or better yet a code handbook.

Pipe and wire work is mostly about repetition so they won't get a lot better at that real quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.