Transformer Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrad1122

I would just to show everyone my first transformer hook-up. I hope this isn't a problem posting pictures, but I just wanted to show off my work because I'm proud of it. :D 480v to 208v step down. GE transformer and panels. This is for a new electric supply house in my area. Oh, and I'm just the little apprentice.

0716081445.jpg

0716081443.jpg

If you noticed the flex 90 doesn't have a plastic bushing on it, I put it on after I was done taking pictures :wink:

0716081446.jpg

I don't know how other transformer are but I didn't like how the lugs only faced the side, it would have been easier if they were facing forward.

mdshunk

jayrad1122 said:
I don't know how other transformer are but I didn't like how the lugs only faced the side, it would have been easier if they were facing forward.
Some are pretty nice, and others are downright poor. Yours is somewhere in the middle.

Curious what the pipe and 4-square are between the two panels? Some sort of automation control wiring?

jayrad1122

mdshunk said:
Some are pretty nice, and others are downright poor. Yours is somewhere in the middle.

Curious what the pipe and 4-square are between the two panels? Some sort of automation control wiring?

Thanks, middle is okay for the 1st time. The 4"sq is for a time clock controlling outside wall packs. Wall packs are 277v and the clock is 120v.

-Jared

jayrad1122

quogueelectric said:
Dont forget your level on the side of the panel.

After reading this I went out to my truck to make sure I didn't leave it there and it wasn't in my pouch. I guess I did leave it there. :-? Oh well, I'll be there tomorrow at 7.

jayrad1122

iwire said:
Look like a nice 'No-Dog' level. :cool:

The work looks good.

Kind of wondering why the 480 panel has a main?

Yes a nice No-Dog, even with my name engraved. IDK about the main, the supply house supplied all the material so I installed it.

zog

jayrad1122 said:
After reading this I went out to my truck to make sure I didn't leave it there and it wasn't in my pouch. I guess I did leave it there. :-? Oh well, I'll be there tomorrow at 7.

LOL! I guess he forgot to mooooove it hey quoge? Score 1 for the cows (Eat mor chiken)

Is it normal to go A, B, C, right to left in the transformer, It probably wouldn't matter electrically to the transformer, but I don't recall ever seeing one that way? I've always seen them go A, B, C, left to right. Would you technically need the bond bushing on the 120/208v secondary? I'm thinking you would need it on the 277/480v primary side, if you used a concentric knockout. I don't have the code book in front of me but I thought it was bond bushing required if using a concentric knockout and 250 volts to ground.

zog

jayrad1122 said:

LOL! I guess he forgot to mooooove it hey quoge? Score 1 for the cows (Eat mor chiken)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
bakerbrotherselectric said:
Is it normal to go A, B, C, right to left in the transformer, It probably wouldn't matter electrically to the transformer, but I don't recall ever seeing one that way? I've always seen them go A, B, C, left to right. Would you technically need the bond bushing on the 120/208v secondary? I'm thinking you would need it on the 277/480v primary side, if you used a concentric knockout. I don't have the code book in front of me but I thought it was bond bushing required if using a concentric knockout and 250 volts to ground.

You're correct, the bonding bushing is not required on the secondary side of the transformer.

Does any see the need for a bonding bushing on the raceway (looks like a flex connector in the bottom) that contains the GEC?

Other than that nice job.:smile:

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:
Does any see the need for a bonding bushing on the raceway (looks like a flex connector in the bottom) that contains the GEC?

I don't, the raceway is bonded to the enclosure already.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
I don't, the raceway is bonded to the enclosure already.

I've always considered that to be adequate for bonding the raceway. But others, Mike Holt included, seem to feel otherwise. IMO a bonding bushing would be nothing more than a redundant ground for the reason that Bob mentioned.

stretch12

what the tall yellow hoosey two the left in pic 1. and curious why a bonding/grounding bush on sec? might be a brain fart its been a long hot day. and havent done a xformer in a spell

peter d

Wow..that is some hack work. You should be ashamed of yourself. ;)

All kidding aside, that looks great. I wish I had been able to do stuff like that as an apprentice.

Cold Fusion

bakerbrotherselectric said:
Is it normal to go A, B, C, right to left in the transformer, It probably wouldn't matter electrically to the transformer, but I don't recall ever seeing one that way? I've always seen them go A, B, C, left to right. (cut)
I just finished one that had the upper layer as (left to right) X3, X0, X2, X1 and the lower layer as H2, H1, H3.

I didn't know there was code or standard on the arangement. UL maybe?

cf

Cold Fusion said:
I just finished one that had the upper layer as (left to right) X3, X0, X2, X1 and the lower layer as H2, H1, H3.

I didn't know there was code or standard on the arangement. UL maybe?

cf
Your probably right.. It probably differs from manuf. to manuf. As far as the bond bushing being on the 480v. side I still can't find the answer?

If someone knows the code section for requiring a bond bushing at what voltage, it would help.. I thought it was 250v and over , and going through a concentric knockout.

Status
Not open for further replies.