Transformer Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

jayrad1122 said:
Yes, this is an aluminum to aluminum connection with steel bolts. No I did not use Belleville washers, just flat washers with a lock nut. Will this be a problem down the road? :-? Its a 75kva xfrmr and feeds a 200a 208v wye. The panel will only have maybe 50A draw just from a bunch t8 6 lamp fluorescents and around 5 computers and some conveince outlets.

Thanks for the information, I will be sure to use them in more applications. :smile:
With temperature swings, it will eventually be a problem, but if it shows up in our career lives, or within the life of the installation, would be hard to predict. I can only tell you that this connection is not as reliable as one made with a Belleville washer. If this were in a high load current environment (relative to the connector rating) and one with frequent temperature or high load changes and elevated temperatures, I would guess it would fail within the installation's useful life.

The ambient temperature could stay constant but the connector temperature change with higher currents. Ambient temperature swings will also stress the connection.

A reduced current will certainly extend the life of the connection. Other factors that lead to failure include the quality of the original connection, number of thermal stress cycles, stress levels, temperature extremes, corrosion, fretting, current cycles, creep, etc.

One of the biggest problems with an aluminum connection is stress caused when it expands and contracts. Using Belleville washers helps reduce one of the big failure mechanisms associated with these type connections. Of course, using bolts with similar expansion coefficients is another solution.

As for predicting failure, there are many means to monitor a connection. One of the most commonly used is temperature monitoring. Others include resistance, pressure, and ultrasonic monitoring.

cadpoint

Well I've never seen the lugs on top of the coils ? Whats with that ?

Would the coils subject the conductor to alot of excess heat or induced electriacl currents ?

I also assume that I work in to many sprinkeled building.
Is there a building code issue that might call for a raised platform?
It looks like the trannie is flat on the floor, I've only ever installed on raised slabs for trannie and gear!

I think, I'm going to invest in 3M !!!:roll:

Looks Great, Congradulations !!!

jayrad1122

cadpoint said:
Well I've never seen the lugs on top of the coils ? Whats with that ?

Would the coils subject the conductor to alot of excess heat or induced electriacl currents ?

I also assume that I work in to many sprinkeled building.
Is there a building code issue that might call for a raised platform?
It looks like the trannie is flat on the floor, I've only ever installed on raised slabs for trannie and gear!

I think, I'm going to invest in 3M !!!:roll:

Looks Great, Congradulations !!!

Well, I've never seen lugs at the bottom of the coils. Of course I've only seen the inside of two before;)

This trannie is raised off the floor about 4" or so by the sides. The sides come down and are bent inward.

and yes, invest now before i buy all their tape and the price goes up. lol:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.