Troubleshooting gas oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutierrjg

Hi,Guys I'm trying to fix a residential gas oven.When open the gas the ignition should give me some signal but nothing happend.Could someone give me some advise how to check this.

stickboy1375

gutierrjg said:
Hi,Guys I'm trying to fix a residential gas oven.When open the gas the ignition should give me some signal but nothing happend.Could someone give me some advise how to check this.

I normally would just call a gas guy. :cool: After checking the receptacle had power of course.

electricalperson

gutierrjg said:
Nothing.I'm here is my comfusion.No gas no,no arcing.which one depends of the other?
im pretty sure if the ignitor has a problem, it wont allow the gas to flow. replace the ignitor module and see if that works. im probably wrong since im not an expert of gas ranges

electricalperson

gas_range_components.jpg

heres a diagram i found i dont know if its helpful or not

76nemo

Don't mess with gas.......

Don't mess with gas.......

The oven will receive a mV signal that the pilot is engaged. I won't add to this any further, as I am a FIRM believer that one should NOT mess with an appliance that requires gas to operate. An electrician, and an appliance tech. are two different technicians.

Are you COMPLETELY confident to sign off on such a repair???

electricalperson

76nemo said:
The oven will receive a mV signal that the pilot is engaged. I won't add to this any further, as I am a FIRM believer that one should NOT mess with an appliance that requires gas to operate. An electrician, and an appliance tech. are two different technicians.

i dont like to mess with gas either. i would personally call a repair man for a gas oven since it kind of scares me a little :D

JohnJ0906

76nemo said:

Will your insurance cover this?

No offence, but I know that my knowledge ends at the receptacle. I would be over my head - as it sounds you are.

I would pass this off to an appliance tech.

76nemo

gutierrjg said:
Ok,I'll start all over again
Thank,very helpful

Please Sir, understand that we are looking out for everyone's best interest. I have seen safety limits bypassed and jerry rigged. It's not like we don't want to pass on any other advice on this.
If I am called out for furnace work and see any modifications, out the door I go if the HO won't go back to original spec's. I don't fool around with gas, nor should anyone else unqualified in the field.

76nemo

JohnJ0906 worded this better than I did.

You do electrical work, when gas is involved, than call in the right guy/gal.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rule #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76nemo

gutierrjg said:
yes I am,There is not any problem if one turn off the gas.

Woohhhh, wait a minute. Are you saying you are confident on this type of work??? Turning off the gas is no different than turning of the power and having a life threating problem arise when the gas is turned back on.

Turn off the power and bridge two phases together, turn the juice back on while standing in front of the servicing panel and tell me about confidence:-?

There is NOTHING wrong to admitting the work is out of your scope, I do it all the time.

Did I take your last post wrong???

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can tell you this much: cooktop burners use a spark ignitor, but most ovens have a sort of 'glow-plug' heating element that stays glowing, because the oven has to cycle the one-size flame to maintain a set temperature.

jrdsg

old story

old story

guy experiencing parachute failure passes another guy coming the other way:

"know anything about parachutes?"
"nope. know anything about gas heaters?"

Status
Not open for further replies.